[SOLVED] Question on Bios update with Ryzen 3000 ready sticker

bi4nnc4

Prominent
Nov 21, 2020
Hi, I've purchased an Asrock B450m Steel Legend motherboard back in Feburary and it's got the and ryzen 3000 series ready out of the box label. Just wondering if I should update to the latest bios as I've been on many different forums that you shouldn't/should update?

What are your thoughts and opinions on this topic?

For context I've got a Ryzen 5 3600 cpu

Solution
Hi, I've purchased an Asrock B450m Steel Legend motherboard back in Feburary and it's got the and ryzen 3000 series ready out of the box label. Just wondering if I should update to the latest bios as I've been on many different forums that you shouldn't/should update?

Even if it will work 'out of box', definitely update BIOS to the latest. Not only will it likely have improved memory compatibility but it has significant fixes to make it more compatible with Windows 11 and improve security against virus's and trojan attacks in general.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you know what version bios you have now??

that will help

3600 = Matisse
There are no restrictions on mb so you could update to latest if you want to but I generally don't update bios versions if the current one works fine now. No need to be on latest just cause it exists. Only upgrade if you having problems.

Hi bi4nnc4 :D

If the label on the box has indicated 3000 series ready then you should have no issues with your 5 3600 CPU.

Bios updates are there to rectify issues and if your system is running fine then leave it alone.
There are slight risks in updating Bios and mainly due to power loss during the update.
Most Bios updates for Ryzen are changes to AGESA (AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture) or updates to the QVL RAM compatibility list. It may include other updates such as USB compatibility.

bi4nnc4

Prominent
Nov 21, 2020
Do you know what version bios you have now??

that will help

3600 = Matisse
There are no restrictions on mb so you could update to latest if you want to but I generally don't update bios versions if the current one works fine now. No need to be on latest just cause it exists. Only upgrade if you having problems.

I'm not too sure which current version I have, haven't tested it yet. All I know is that the box has the ryzen 3000 series label. But I'll keep your feedback in mind

Even if it will work 'out of box', definitely update BIOS to the latest. Not only will it likely have improved memory compatibility but it has significant fixes to make it more compatible with Windows 11 and improve security against virus's and trojan attacks in general.

Solution