Question on old computer (upgrading gpu)

ZZZAAA

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Hello all! I just bought a brand new gaming rig and I was wondering if I could get a little more life out of my old computer while I wait for the new GPUs to be released and use the old one as a spare. I'm currently running a B55 (955) X4 overclocked to 3.5 paired with a powercolor 6970. I mostly play shooters like CSGO (runs perfectly) and some titanfall (2?) and could use a performance boost on the latter. I wanted to know if it was worth upgrading the 6970 to a 270 and if my cpu would bottleneck my gpu. If not, how high up the gpu ladder would I be able to go? Newegg always seem to have some kind of powercolor oem radeon for sale at a good price and they have the 270 for $120 right now. I was wondering if I would notice a difference or if it would be better to spend that cash on some kind of a mobo cpu upgrade instead. It seems that the 860k is not really that much faster than my cpu though. Anyway thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated!

(EDIT: Could be in the wrong forum. Maybe should have posted in Systems.)

Solution
It's not really a worthwhile move, the R9 270 is only one tier over the HD6970: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gpu-hierarchy,review-33383.html for any useful gains you'll need to look up to the HD7970/R9 280X class which would be about as much as the venerable 955 can handle without a significant CPU restriction.
And no, you won't see any really useful gains by moving to another AMD quad, some gains yes but not enough to justify the cost and hassle.
I'd look through E-bay, Craiglist (or local similar) for a used HD7970 from a seller with plenty of good feedback and enjoy the system for what it now is: An older but capable computer in its twilight years.

ZZZAAA

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Yeah I read that one but the results look very skewed according to different websites not mention my card is about 4-5 generations old. Also I just wanted a spare computer because I like hardware and was wondering if it was a worthwhile upgrade.

Iceman21

Respectable
May 3, 2016
I dont think its worthwhile upgrade because it will be too slow to play newest games on high graphic settings (like your new pc probably) and it's still good enough to play older/lighter games.

It's not really a worthwhile move, the R9 270 is only one tier over the HD6970: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gpu-hierarchy,review-33383.html for any useful gains you'll need to look up to the HD7970/R9 280X class which would be about as much as the venerable 955 can handle without a significant CPU restriction.
And no, you won't see any really useful gains by moving to another AMD quad, some gains yes but not enough to justify the cost and hassle.
I'd look through E-bay, Craiglist (or local similar) for a used HD7970 from a seller with plenty of good feedback and enjoy the system for what it now is: An older but capable computer in its twilight years.

Solution