Question regarding partitions and formatting HELP

G

My friend has a 2TB internal hard drive that's been factory partitioned (the HDD was partitioned when he got the computer). Each partition is about 1TB in size.

He currently has no operating system installed on either partition, because of complications I won't get into, but one of the partitions has data on it which he really can't delete, so is there any way to delete all the data off a partition of a hard drive, or is there any way to format a partition through the command prompt/boot menu/bios (without the luxury of an operating system installed) WITHOUT deleting the other partition and its data?

Please keep in mind that he DOESN'T have another hard drive he can back his stuff onto, and he don't have access to another computer, which is why he's asking me to help him.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

cl-scott

Honorable
A Linux LiveCD distribution is very handy for situations like this. They all will have tools that will let you format one partition and not the other. However, there's no way to do this via the BIOS, there needs to be SOME kind of OS running.

If you are in close physical proximity to your friend, you could always download a copy of say Knoppix, burn it to a disc, and take it over to him. http://www.knoppix.org/