Question

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right forum & I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I
can't get the cover off a Compaq Deskpro 6000 & was hoping someone in here
might be able to give me instructions?

The alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq newsgroup is still moderately active, and somebody
responding there ought to be able to tell you how to do this... Ben Myers

In article <00c4e.24005$C7.491@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Wanda Too" <gnomey73@hotmail.com> writes:

:...I can't get the cover off a Compaq Deskpro 6000 & was hoping someone
:in here might be able to give me instructions? ...

The DeskPro 6000 has a desktop and a minitower variant.

I will assume the box does not have a padlock on the back -- at
least some of these boxes had a security bracket. If so, well,
circumventing the lock is going to be your problem, as permitted
by the owner of the system and (if different) of the lock. :)

The desktop model has two cover releases located on the sides of
the enclosure, toward the rear. To disengage the cover latch,
pull these two latches directly forward toward the front of the
system. When the latches are disengaged, pull the rear edge of
the top cover upward, and pivot it upwards and eventually also
out of the lip located along the front top edge of the box.

The minitower has three thumbscrews oriented vertically along the
right side of the rear of the enclosure. Unscrew all three, and
side the side cover straight back.

The installation is the reverse of the process, obviously.

There look to be some manuals available:

http://www.hp.com/
support and troubleshooting
desktops and workstations
desktop PCs
Compaq DeskPro PCs
Compaq DeskPro 6000
Manuals

---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
--------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

"Hoff Hoffman" <hoffman@hp.nospam> wrote in message
> In article <00c4e.24005$C7.491@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Wanda Too"
> <gnomey73@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> :...I can't get the cover off a Compaq Deskpro 6000 & was hoping someone
> :in here might be able to give me instructions? ...
>
> The DeskPro 6000 has a desktop and a minitower variant.

It's the desktop.

> I will assume the box does not have a padlock on the back -- at
> least some of these boxes had a security bracket. If so, well,
> circumventing the lock is going to be your problem, as permitted
> by the owner of the system and (if different) of the lock. :)

There wasn't anything that looked like a standard padlock, however there was
a screw thingy that had some plastic bits. Excuse the lack of lingo my
computer vocabulary is pretty limited. I work with computers but as a
draftsperson, not a computer tech.

> The desktop model has two cover releases located on the sides of
> the enclosure, toward the rear. To disengage the cover latch,
> pull these two latches directly forward toward the front of the
> system. When the latches are disengaged, pull the rear edge of
> the top cover upward, and pivot it upwards and eventually also
> out of the lip located along the front top edge of the box.

This computer has something like what you're describing, but they seem to be
buttons rather than latches & are located at the front of the unit. There is
no room to slide them either forward or backwards. I've tried pushing them
in, but have no luck, although I have noticed that only one of them locks,
or is stuck, in once it's pushed where as the other pops out again straight
away.

I appreciate your help but perhaps it's time to call the secondhand dealer I
bought it off. They did have the cover off while I was in the shop so it's
obviously possible. I would have done this initially but it's a bit
difficult because of the hours I work. *sigh* I'll get there.

Thanks! :)