[SOLVED] Questions about HDDs and SSDs

Oct 23, 2021
So I recently got an SSD installed and the person who installed it set it to boot into the SSD rather than the HDD.I have very limited knowledge on computer things so I want to ask some questions about the HDD and SSDs.

1. Will booting into the HDD as the operating system, and SDD being the secondary will it be slower than booting into HDD?
  2. How do I transfer browser data from my HDD to my SSD?
  3. How do I transfer my games from my HDD to my SSD? (Games from Steam, and other games on it's own like Genshin Impact/Minecraft)
  4. How do I transfer things from the desktop/video section of my HDD to my HDD (Since that I kept a couple important files and folders in my desktop.)
  5. And how do I transfer windows files that I have customized like sound, drivers, custom/modified cursors etc.?

Solution
So I recently got an SSD installed and the person who installed it set it to boot into the SSD rather than the HDD.I have very limited knowledge on computer things so I want to ask some questions about the HDD and SSDs.
  1. Will booting into the HDD as the operating system, and SDD being the secondary will it be slower than booting into HDD?
  3. How do I transfer my games from my HDD to my SSD? (Games from Steam, and other games on it's own like Genshin Impact/Minecraft)
  4. How do I transfer things from the desktop/video section of my HDD to my HDD (Since that I kept a couple important files and folders in my desktop.)
  5. And how do I transfer windows files that I have...
  5. And how do I transfer windows files that I have customized like sound, drivers, custom/modified cursors etc.?

1. Booting from an HDD is generally slower than booting from an SSD
  2. Depends on the browser, but normally the data it uses lives in your user folder. For example, for Firefox, it's in C:\Users\[username\.AppData\Roaming\Mozilla and C:\Users\[username\.AppData\Local\Mozilla.
    1. Most browsers have a syncing feature if you sign up for it. However this only syncs your settings, passwords, and bookmarks. I don't think it syncs any sessions you're logged into.
  3. Regarding moving games:
    1. For games from a storefront like Steam, move where they're installed to the new location and tell the storefront where it is. This option is usually in the Download section of the settings.
    2. For standalone games like Genshin, you can move the folder over, though keep in mind if there's entry to uninstall it on Control Panel -> Programs and Features, it won't know that you moved it.
      1. There's a way around this if you don't mind getting into the command line
  4. Just move it over.
  5. Also move it over from where they are to the same place in the new Windows install.

Solution