Question Questions concerning System CPU TDP ?

LazyNines

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hi.

I just got done cleaning my PC like I do every year and I had some Questions..
Basically I was having some problems with a game that felt kinda freeze slow as to what it used to be.. I found a fix by using Quick CPU to unpark all Cores and place preference in Physical Cores to get the most out of my CPU (i7 13700KF) .
I had temperatures of around 54 to 58 Degrees (Celsius btw).
My game felt good at start but then temps would go up by 2 or 3 more degrees and it would feel slow freeze again wile playing.
On Quick CPU, Package wouldn't go over 100W.
So like I said I cleaned it all changed my CPU thermal Paste (When I took the Heat Sink off it actually looked like I hadn't applied enough last time.)
Turn it back on and now the game feels amazing again, but only it runs hotter.
I go up to 68 and even 73 degrees. And my CPU Package is going over the CPU's TDP, I've seen it go as High as 138W.
I kinda feel like I applied a good amount of thermal paste. I spread with the little spatula thingy so it was all over the CPU, took the excessive amount and then to top it of, I added a little bit more like a really small Rice grain right in the middle so it would then spread.
Any one can tell me if it's actually a good thing. The fact that it runs hotter is it bad? ( Even if I know that this CPU can run at higher temps!) But at the same time I didn't overclock anything more then it was before but it just decided the CPU Package could go higher in Wattage by it self..
Can't figure it out if it actually is a good or a bad thing! Even if at least my game is now running just how I like it!
Also Quick CPU and Armory Crate don't give me the same info... armory crate tells me I'm actually at 61 Degrees and Quick CPU it's at 68 to 72 degrees.

Btw Here is my entire config :

CPU : i7 13700KF
Cooler : Noctua NH D15 chromax
MoBo : ASUS TUF GAMING Z790 Plus Wifi DDR5
Ram : G skill Trident Z5 Rgb 2 x 16Gb DDR5 @6000 Mhz
GPU : ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4080
SSD : Seagate Firecuda 520 1To
PSU: Asus Rog Thor 850W 80+ Plat
and for last it is all inside a BeQuiet Dark Base 900Rev 2 really tidy up , clean as clean can be :)

Last edited:
Hey there,

So, I'd not use QuickCPU at this time, as it is only introducing the chance of confusing what's actually going on.

Intel 13th/14th Gen run hot. They are designed to do that. Give and as much performance as possible within the thermal constraints of the CPU.

What thermal paste did you use on the CPU? When you run benchmarks is your CPU score as other same CPU's?

Running at73c is nothing for that CPU. It's still quite low for a CPU/GPU task (like gaming), so I'd be pleased rather than perplexed.

What bios are you running?

LazyNines

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hey there,

So, I'd not use QuickCPU at this time, as it is only introducing the chance of confusing what's actually going on.

Intel 13th/14th Gen run hot. They are designed to do that. Give and as much performance as possible within the thermal constraints of the CPU.

What thermal paste did you use on the CPU? When you run benchmarks is your CPU score as other same CPU's?

Running at73c is nothing for that CPU. It's still quite low for a CPU/GPU task (like gaming), so I'd be pleased rather than perplexed.

Hey

Ok I guess I'll try running my game without having Quick CPU On see how it goes!
The thermal paste is the Noctua NT-H1 SW edition
And I haven't really run any Stress test actually, didn't think about it! Got any Free Stress test I forgot the name of the one I used last Time.
The Bios is Ver.1604

Last edited:
Hey

Ok I guess I'll try running my game without having Quick CPU On see how it goes!
The thermal paste is the Noctua NT-H1 SW edition
And I haven't really run any Stress test actually, didn't think about it! Got any Free Stress test I forgot the name of the one I used last Time.
The Bios is Ver.1604
So, I'd advise you download HWInfo, this is your monitoring software. Then use something like Cinebench R23 which will put a 100% load on your CPU. Compare to other results in CInebench website.

For some more serious testing you could use OCCT/Prime 95/Aida 64, which you use to perform a load of different tests.

LazyNines

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hey there,

Hey again

So I tried playing without Quick CPU and it's all just fine, Temps run 10 to 12 degrees cooler, the CPU Wattage is at 100 to 110 W like it always was, and the game runs smoothly.
Don't even know why it didn't cross my mind to try playing without Quick CPU after doing all that cleaning.
Thanks a lot for your answer and helping me figure this out!

Have a good Day! :D

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey again

So I tried playing without Quick CPU and it's all just fine, Temps run 10 to 12 degrees cooler, the CPU Wattage is at 100 to 110 W like it always was, and the game runs smoothly.
Don't even know why it didn't cross my mind to try playing without Quick CPU after doing all that cleaning.
Thanks a lot for your answer and helping me figure this out!

Have a good Day! :D
You're welcome! You too mate :)