Questions on 3+ SLI Configuration

Krusifixion

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
So, since I'm getting a lot of money thanks to my new job, and my computer before "took a dive too deep," I've been wanting to build a 4K rig. Since gaming is definitely something I want to do on it, I did some research and found that SLI is a must and the GTX 980 is the true champion. But... whereas two cards gave the 4K experience at a very satisfying level, it seemed quite apparent that, to get the true "60fps at maximum settings on all games" experience, three cards was the way to go. That's where things got iffy.

So, I thought "Easy, I use an i5 or an i7 as the CPU and get a 3-way SLI capable motherboard." Then I found out that even the i7 only has 16 PCIe lanes, and SLI needs each card to have at least a x8 slot. Then I decided that, on the cheap side, I could get an AMD CPU, ooooorrrrr... on the expensive side, I could get the Intel 5920K.

Then, someone told me about PLX chips and I just got overwhelmed. So, here I am. Now, 3-way SLI is not a priority for me, but I'd love it if it could be an option. But, I don't know which processor/motherboard setup would handle that. Could I still go with an i5 or i7? Or should I upgrade to an Intel six-core? Or will the AMD FX-9590 or something be good enough (I heard it's possible that at 4K, the difference in performance between processors becomes insignificant).

Please, let me know what you think, and also, on a side note, does G-sync work well with SLI? I heard it might not. Thanks in advance.

Solution
IMHO tri-SLI is not a good way to go, 2 way seems to be best. It looks like all the VR stuff will be geared for 2-way SLI, not 3-way, just something to think on. The Titan X will be released very soon, perhaps for $1000 a pop, it is a vast improvement over the 980. It has 8 billion transistors, 12GB of GDDR5 and could be pretty fast. Maybe pick up a pair of them to SLI

AMD is soon to show what they have in the 300 series, but it sounds like summer before the good Figi cards will come out...

http://videocardz.com/54987/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-pictured-up-close-gm200-confirmed

endeavour37a

Honorable
IMHO tri-SLI is not a good way to go, 2 way seems to be best. It looks like all the VR stuff will be geared for 2-way SLI, not 3-way, just something to think on. The Titan X will be released very soon, perhaps for $1000 a pop, it is a vast improvement over the 980. It has 8 billion transistors, 12GB of GDDR5 and could be pretty fast. Maybe pick up a pair of them to SLI

AMD is soon to show what they have in the 300 series, but it sounds like summer before the good Figi cards will come out...

http://videocardz.com/54987/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-pictured-up-close-gm200-confirmed

Solution
On Z97, you'll get x8 and x4 and x4 pcie lanes. Which won't impede a low end GPU. But will impact on a 980s performance. This is as well as 3 card scaling issues.

If you really want 3 x 980s, then look at X99 - 40 lanes with i7 5930 and 5960. You can get x 16, x8, x8

Krusifixion

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Yeah, you're probably right. Still, it would be a nice option. Probably by the time I rack up the cash (and the courage) to buy the PC, I'll have those new options available. Thanks for the article as well, that's a nice bonus.

I must say, as well, I like your profile pic :)

endeavour37a

Honorable

Thanks and back at ya.... :) Glad you liked the read, that is a good site for breaking info in cards and GPUs, they are among the first to post up new info. The Titian X looks pretty powerful, a pair of them should simply rock a 4k screen and be perfect for VR if you get into something like that, they put a card on each eye.....

endeavour37a

Honorable
Thought you may want to have a look see at this, Titan X benchmarks and specs just posted up this morning. It looks like $999 is going to be the release price after all, about 40% faster than GTX-980, 2-way SLI scales really good, 3/4-way suck.

I like everything about it except for the 12GB, I think 6GB would serve in gaming for a few years to come without any problems, at least for the life of the card easily. That way they could knock off a few bucks.......$749 would be much better.

http://videocardz.com/55013/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-3dmark-performance