Questions on rig

ajvessey

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
I posted a while back, but I'm almost ready to order my components, so I wanted to address a few extra questions that have popped up. First of all, here're the specs for what I'm planning on building for around $800, give or take:

Mobo: EPoX EP-9NPAJ Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $93

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $190

Ram: 2x CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail $80x2= $160

Graphics: GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $166

Psu: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail $90

Case: Rosewill TU-155 Black Steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail $53
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811147001

I'm not getting any HD's, as I plan on using my the ones in my old comp for the time being, though I'm going to reformat them when I move them over for a fresh start. I'll also move over my CDRW drive and DVDRW drive, as they're both very functional.

Ok, so here are the questions I have off the top of my head.. should be pretty easy to answer for you gurus:

1. Is that Epox mobo sufficient? What do I gain by going up to the Nforce 4 ULTRA versus the non-Ultra? It's a bit pricier, but if it'll put me in a better position for upgrading for the future or something, I have no problem paying a little more for the Ultra.

2. I like the look of that case, and it has great reviews, but will it be sufficiently able to keep my rig cool? The largest fan you can install is 92mm, and it comes with an 80mm. Should I order a 92?

3. Is the stock CPU cooler that comes with the 3200+ good enough, or do I need to upgrade this as well?

4. Random one here: to reformat using the windows disc I have from dell, do I just choose to boot off the CD, then choose an option to reformat? I've never done this before, so I want to know what to expect.

I think this comp should give me great performance for a very reasonable price, and most importantly will put me in a great position for upgrading down the line due to the 939 pin mobo. Everything totaled up equals around $750.. I originally only had 1GB of RAM, and it totaled at $670, which was so much lower than I was expecting that I decided to go with 2GB of RAM, figuring that would give me the most performance increase for the money. What do you guys think? Thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ajvessey on 06/30/05 06:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ajvessey

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
After browsing Newegg, I realized upgrading to the Nforce4 Ultra version of that mobo is only like $18 more, rather than 50+ like I had previously thought. So I'm thinking I'll just go with that, unless anyone says otherwise.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I have the Epox nforce 4 ultra and I can tell you it's the best motherboard I had. Great Overclocking potential and it includes some goodies like round cables and little heatsinks for the parts that are prone to get hot.
IMO the only mobo that is better is the DFI Lanparty nforce 4 ultra something there are 2 models, but I decided for the Epox because it has 3 PCI slots vs 2 on the DFI, plus it's cheaper.

I highly recommend it.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

endyen

Splendid
This is a gaming rig right?
Stay with 1 gig of ram, but get the x800xl graphics card. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102499" target="_new">this</A> will give you much better perf in games, than the extra ram.

ajvessey

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2005
Thanks for the suggestion about the card! After checking out some benchmarks, that definitely looks like the way to go. Any preference on manufacturers? Will there be much performance variation between the brands like MSI, Sapphire or Gigabite?

Also, would you guys recommend I get an extra fan to cool the comp down? The airflow should be decent with the side intake and the wrapped cords, but I've got no clue really.