Question Quick Battery Question

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
I have a laptop that doesn't travel. So my options are to leave it plugged in all of the time or keep up the daily charging / discharging cycle. Google says that it isn't great for the battery to always be in charging mode, however the battery only has so many cycles and every day the battery takes a little hit if I charge / discharge. Is it better for the battery if I just leave it plugged in all of the time or should I unplug it during use and discharge the battery before charging it back up at the end of the day? Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop?

Age? Has the battery ever been replaced? If so, battery source and who installed the battery?

Overall, the guiding documentation regarding the battery, etc. should be the applicable User Guides/Manuals.

RickVS

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
It's a 2019 LG Gram and the battery health is around 80%. This laptop hasn't seen a lot of use as it was mostly for trade shows over the years. Original battery.

It's a 2019 LG Gram and the battery health is around 80%. This laptop hasn't seen a lot of use as it was mostly for trade shows over the years. Original battery.
A 6 year old battery is past due for replacement. Leaving a laptop on constant charge is definitely bad for the battery. Yes, there are a finite number of charge/discharge cycles available but that number is larger than you will ever reach in normal use. Used or not laptop batteries begin aging the moment they are manufactured and typically require replacement after no more than 3 years or so.