Quick Question regarding Titan X

UncreativeName

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Hi don't worry I'm no noob with GPUs I know the Titan is a fully fledged GM200 and the 980ti is cut down with half the memory blah blah blah but I'm looking at EVGA's hybrid water cooled versions of both of these cards. The x is a whole lot more than the 980ti hybrid for sure but for the system I want to build I'm going overkill with anyway since I'm doing an x99 build so I don't mind over spending. So for the question, say both of these hybrid cards were running at 1400-1500mhz with 8000mhz on the memory or just any frequency for that matter providing they are the same what sort of performance increase with the Titan should I expect? A few frames like on the reference cards or a bigger gap because of the better cooling/higher clock etc.? Thanks in advance! Would love a dual gm200 too like a 990 just thought I'd throw that in their

Solution
The only reason to buy a Titan X would be a need for 12gb of vram.
Today, I see nothing that would justify that.
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, so there may be differences in effectiveness between...
The only reason to buy a Titan X would be a need for 12gb of vram.
Today, I see nothing that would justify that.
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, so there may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/
Spoiler... not a significant difference.

Are you planning on 4k gaming or triple monitor gaming?
If so, even the best GTX980ti hybrid is not likely to be enough and you should plan on dual cards.

Think carefully about your case. There are usually not enough openings for two or 3 sets of radiators for dual cards and a liquid cpu cooler.

If you are looking at high end gaming, I think I would wait for Skylake I7-6700K.
It is likely to have the fastest cores around.
X99 lets you install 6 and 8 core cpus, but few games can use more than 2-3 cores.
To prove this to yourself on your current FX-8350,
experiment with removing one or more cores. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option. set the number of processors to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many cores.

Solution

UncreativeName

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Yep I'm using the card for 4k gaming and I understand as of right now the GM200 cards are better suited for QHD rather than 4k so I was thinking I could get one now and turn of all anti aliasing and turn down a few textures to get 60fps and then maybe add a second card later down the line which is also where the 980ti makes a bit more sense since its a lot cheaper albeit still expensive. As for the x99 I'm not going with a 5960x just for the hell of it I'm planning on creating a gaming based YouTube channel doing gameplay walk through so the 6/8 cores will help with the editing and rendering of these videos. Thanks for your help :)