May 2, 2021
Hello, I have a build right now in some cooler master case, and well it’s kind of loud. I am very new to this whole computer stuff as I’ve always had a Xbox. I have an Amd 5700xt and a ryzen 7 3700x. I am looking for a case that will cut sound down drastically but still doing good with cooling. I’ve been looking into a few different fractal design cases. Any recommendations for quiet but also good cooling cases will be appreciated thanks.

Solution
There's only one thing in Any normal pc that makes any kind of realistic noise. Fans. Quiet cases are sound baffled to help with sound vibration escaping into the open where you xan hear them, but none are perfect because fans need holes, so some sound is inevitable.

The amount of sound produced is directly tied back to 1 thing. Heat. The hotter the components, the hotter the case, the higher the rpm of the fans, the louder they are.

That's one of the benefits of an aio vs air cooling, cpu heat is directly removed from adding to case heat, lowers the need for higher airflow and higher rpm cpu fans.

As mentioned, 140mm fans will move more air at the same rpm as a 120mm fan, or conversely the same amount of air at a lower rpm, so...
D

Deleted member 2720853

I'd recommend the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX. It's in the name.

Buy this case along with three 140mm PWM Silent Wings 3 (not the high-speed model). Have two of them mounted at the front and one at the back. Then you're set for silence. Talking from experience.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
i 100% agree with alexa on the Pure Base 500 (doesnt have to be dx). Its my new case that i built in a week ago and i was extremely impressed with material quality, value for money, noise dampening materials, included fans. But the most important of all, you can tell the designer of this case is incredible at his job as he thought of every little thing and overall convienience. it was on sale here for 60 euros, bought another one right away

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Quiet chassis... should that even be a thing when it's all about the fans(cpu cooler, gpu cooler, chassis) in the end?
Models with sound dampening materials don't really help against the high frequency noise produced by fans revving up.
If the cpu and gpu are kept cool during whatever you have them doing, they make less noise.
What cooler is being used on the 3700X?
What is the model of the 5700XT?

How about you pick 'your most favorite' chassis and then we all work with it from there?

May 2, 2021
Quiet chassis... should that even be a thing when it's all about the fans(cpu cooler, gpu cooler, chassis) in the end?
Models with sound dampening materials don't really help against the high frequency noise produced by fans revving up.
If the cpu and gpu are kept cool during whatever you have them doing, they make less noise.

How about you pick 'your most favorite' chassis and then we all work with it from there?
I’m thinking the fractal design RS or define 7 forsure, I have two friends each has one or the other, they’ve got no major complaints

May 2, 2021
I'd recommend the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX. It's in the name.

Buy this case along with three 140mm PWM Silent Wings 3 (not the high-speed model). Have two of them mounted at the front and one at the back. Then you're set for silence. Talking from experience.
How is the thermals with that? Does it get really warm?

May 2, 2021

I’m not sure about the coole, all I know the 5700xt says Msi not even sure if it’s a decent gpu

May 2, 2021
i 100% agree with alexa on the Pure Base 500 (doesnt have to be dx). Its my new case that i built in a week ago and i was extremely impressed with material quality, value for money, noise dampening materials, included fans. But the most important of all, you can tell the designer of this case is incredible at his job as he thought of every little thing and overall convienience. it was on sale here for 60 euros, bought another one right away
How is the cooling? Keep it cool enough or does it tend to get warm

Noise comes primarily from small fans running at high rpm.
Two components require cooling, the cpu and the graphics card.
Start with the graphics card which is a fixed choice for you.
To cool the card, it will come with probably three 90mm fans.
Such small fans need to spin up to relatively high(and noisy) rpm to cool the card.
Not much you can do about that except to insure that your graphics card coolers receive a good stream of fresh cooling air.
The front air intake for the case becomes a prime design requirement.

On the cpu side, you will want adequate cooling.
You may be tempted with a 240 aio cooler, but I would not see that as a good thing in a well ventilated case.
A good dual tower air cooler like the drp4 pro or noctua NH-D15s will cool equally well.
The large 140mm fans can run at lower rpm and cool equally well.

On the case, look for one with larger front intakes such as 140 or 200mm which will turn slower and quieter.
I like the cm h500 mesh.
https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-coo...V8QWICR3rNgeXEAQYBCABEgIwZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
It comes with two front 200mm intake fans and has plenty of room for a good tower type air cooler.

Another source of noise is possibly a mechanical HDD.
Include only ssd storage if you can.
If you need bulk HDD storage, pick one of the quieter and slower HDD devices.

Lastly, pick a quality gold rated PSU of adequate capability.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
Likely 750/850w.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

A quality psu like the seasonic focus units will have a 7-10 year warranty.
They warn you to not be concerned if the cooling fan does not run.
The fan will only spin under the heaviest of loads.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the cpu cooler?

I’m thinking the fractal design RS or define 7 forsure, I have two friends each has one or the other, they’ve got no major complaints
I looked up some reviews, and the 2 have some minor differences here and there, but do have one thing in common: rather mediocre gpu thermal performance.
The reason, going by reviews, appears to be a combination of the front panel and low rpm(1000 max) stock fans. Due to the low pressure from the front, the gpu is drawing most of its air through the rear PCIe slots.
This will lead to the gpu easily becoming audible over everything else when in use; you know when the cards hit certain temperatures, the fans ramp up.
To get around that would be to replace the stock front fans with something stronger, but then you're defeating the purpose of having the low rpm + front panel in the first place.

all I know the 5700xt says Msi not even sure if it’s a decent gpu
Msi ran with 4 different models:
Radeon Reference: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-5700-xt.b7170
Evoke: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-5700-xt-evoke-oc.b7240
Gaming X: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-5700-xt-gaming-x.b7299
Mech: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-5700-xt-mech.b7243

D

Deleted member 2720853

How is the thermals with that? Does it get really warm?
Not at all, Pure Base 500DX has fantastic airflow. Keeps my Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 3070 under 65C during the most intensive games, and it's quiet once you install three Silent Wings 3, which are all running at max 900 RPM by the way. Check my signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2720853

Major difference between the 500 and 500DX when it comes to airflow. Better pick up the 500DX.

May 2, 2021

If I went with either fractal design case, and threw some notctua NF-s12b redux 1200 fans in do you think that’d make up for the poorer thermal performance?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If I went with either fractal design case, and threw some notctua NF-s12b redux 1200 fans in do you think that’d make up for the poorer thermal performance?
Highly doubt it. Noctua even states on the webpage that the S12B is 'designed for low impedance case cooling applications'.
That wall in the front of both FD chassis isn't low impedance either.

Dynamic X2 GP-14(the fans preinstalled in the Define 7 and Vector RS)
140mm class
68.4CFM
0.71mmH2O
18.9dBA

NF-S12B Redux 1200rpm
120mm class
59.2CFM
1.31mmH2O
18.1dBA

The above stats are of limited use, for 2 reasons:
-the stats only reflect performance at 100% fan speed. Users seldom run their fans at that speed regularly.
-no one knows how a particular fan behaves below 100%. Only the Silent Wings 3, and NF-A12x25 appear to have their curves available to be viewed, so a limited use there.

You'd have to use fans intended for radiators there, and then we're back to the part where I said it defeats the purpose, because the loudest point in the chassis likely switches from the gpu to the front panel fans, XD.

May 2, 2021
Highly doubt it. Noctua even states on the webpage that the S12B is 'designed for low impedance case cooling applications'.
That wall in the front of both FD chassis isn't low impedance either.

Dynamic X2 GP-14(the fans preinstalled in the Define 7 and Vector RS)
140mm class
68.4CFM
0.71mmH2O
18.9dBA

NF-S12B Redux 1200rpm
120mm class
59.2CFM
1.31mmH2O
18.1dBA

The above stats are of limited use, for 2 reasons:
-the stats only reflect performance at 100% fan speed. Users seldom run their fans at that speed regularly.
-no one knows how a particular fan behaves below 100%. Only the Silent Wings 3, and NF-A12x25 appear to have their curves available to be viewed, so a limited use there.

You'd have to use fans intended for radiators there, and then we're back to the part where I said it defeats the purpose, because the loudest point in the chassis likely switches from the gpu to the front panel fans, XD.
Oh damn I see, well right now I’m kinda stuck then, I want something quiet but also can’t fry my stuff:/ I’m getting into audio production type stuff, and I’ve heard that it could be in the background or what not, not good, and when play Cold War it tends to get real loud, fortnite it’s not too bad.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh damn I see, well right now I’m kinda stuck then, I want something quiet but also can’t fry my stuff:/ I’m getting into audio production type stuff, and I’ve heard that it could be in the background or what not, not good, and when play Cold War it tends to get real loud, fortnite it’s not too bad.
You have to be able to make some kind of compromise.
You CAN have a quiet chassis with the solid front panel, sound dampening, etc. You'll have to accept that thermals might not be the best in some areas, but it can be worked with.

I'm still of the opinion that you can get either Fractal chassis, and still have your quiet PC - it can be done, it'll just be a bit more involved on your end with gpu undervolting and manually controlling fan speeds.

May 2, 2021
You have to be able to make some kind of compromise.
You CAN have a quiet chassis with the solid front panel, sound dampening, etc. You'll have to accept that thermals might not be the best in some areas, but it can be worked with.

I'm still of the opinion that you can get either Fractal chassis, and still have your quiet PC - it can be done, it'll just be a bit more involved on your end with gpu undervolting and manually controlling fan speeds.
Okay! Thank you, I think someone mentioned a pure base 500dx claimed to be good on thermals and noise mostly, I may look into something like that

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Okay! Thank you, I think someone mentioned a pure base 500dx claimed to be good on thermals and noise mostly, I may look into something like that
Focus on getting a decent cooler for your CPU instead like an arctic freezer 34, and be sure you have an adequate GPU with a quality headsink, not one that cheaps out on that.. The Pure Base 500 is gonna provide plenty of cooling for a mid-high range system, it seems like you read too much into it being afraid you're going to "fry" your pc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

500DX, three Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM (two in the front, one at the back), a GPU with a big heatsink for effective cooling (MSI's Gaming X Trio series are pretty quiet and cool really well), and a good tower CPU air cooler like the Freezer 34 eSports Duo, Scythe Fuma 2 or NH-D15S, all of which fit in that case.

Then you'll be set for both thermals and noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phaaze88
May 2, 2021
Focus on getting a decent cooler for your CPU instead like an arctic freezer 34, and be sure you have an adequate GPU with a quality headsink, not one that cheaps out on that.. The Pure Base 500 is gonna provide plenty of cooling for a mid-high range system, it seems like you read too much into it being afraid you're going to "fry" your pc.

-Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB Tempered Glass, Durable Metal, Mid Tower Case with Transparent Side-panel for Parts Display

-3rd-Gen AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Unlocked Processor, 8 Cores / 16 Threads up to 4.4GHz

-16GB High Speed DDR4-3200MHz RAM

-512GB 2.5" SATA3 6.0Gbps SSD Storage

-AMD Radeon 7nm Navi 5700XT 8GBGDDR6 Graphics
That’s my system as of right now

D

Deleted member 2720853

-Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB Tempered Glass, Durable Metal, Mid Tower Case with Transparent Side-panel for Parts Display

-3rd-Gen AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Unlocked Processor, 8 Cores / 16 Threads up to 4.4GHz

-16GB High Speed DDR4-3200MHz RAM

-512GB 2.5" SATA3 6.0Gbps SSD Storage

-AMD Radeon 7nm Navi 5700XT 8GBGDDR6 Graphics
That’s my system as of right now
Read my message above. Your components and especially that GPU will thrive in the new case, and the system will be overall quieter. Looking at your current case, the airflow is abysmal causing it to run louder in order to effectively cool the components. The fans don't need to work as loud to cool components if the case has a mesh front, which the 500DX has -- I have the 500DX, and my fans can casually spin at only 900 RPM and cool my 3070 & 3900X just fine.

As a bonus, the case has top end clearance for both GPUs (360mm) and CPU coolers (190mm), and is very easy to build in.

May 2, 2021
Read my message above. Your components and especially that GPU will thrive in the new case, and the system will be overall quieter. Looking at your current case, the airflow is abysmal causing it to run louder in order to effectively cool the components. The fans don't need to work as loud to cool components if the case has a mesh front, which the 500DX has -- I have the 500DX, and my fans can casually spin at only 900 RPM and cool my 3070 & 3900X just fine.

As a bonus, the case has top end clearance for both GPUs (360mm) and CPU coolers (190mm), and is very easy to build in.
How many total fans do you have in your build?

D

Deleted member 2720853

How many total fans do you have in your build?
Three case fans, the Silent Wings 3 I mentioned earlier. Two front intakes, one rear exhaust.

One 140mm CPU cooler fan which runs at 950 RPM max and is very quiet due to it being a Noctua fan.

Three GPU fans which are also very powerful and thus don't need to spin fast to keep the GPU under 65C, making them quiet.

And one PSU fan which is also quiet and barely spins up due to the 80+ Platinum efficiency keeping my PSU from producing any considerable amount of heat.

Reactions: Phaaze88