[SOLVED] R 3 2200g and 3000/3200mhz ram

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. But be sure to update your motherboard BIOS to the latest available. In fact, maybe I better first ask which board you have?

I should also add, any speed memory is compatible. Whether or not it runs at the rated speed is a maybe thing. Most modern boards have XMP/A-XMP profiles that will auto OC the RAM to its rated speed for you.

Last edited:

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
I added an extra comment above. But if you are looking for new boards, they will use any speed RAM you want to use. There's a possibility that the RAM won't run at rated speed and you'll have to live with slower. But generally that isn't a problem now.
It would either be an a320 or a cheap b450 as I have a budget of 250 euros and I don't want to buy used. I think these chipsetd are in mostly old boards btw, so I am not sure if these boards are able to autoconfigure the speed of the memory

If it is out of the box more than 2933 MHz?

Usually no. Some motherboards have some overclock presets or buttons, but to get the most out of it you need to do it yourself.

Example: ASUS boards have direct overclock (DOCP) which will usually find stable timings on AMD processor.

X.M.P. is often works fine for low end RAM on AMD but the higher end stuff it usually has timings that are tuned too tight (XMP is for Intel).

That processor has a Ryzen 1st gen memory controller so typically they max out at 3466MT/s CL14 if you diligent.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It would either be an a320 or a cheap b450 as I have a budget of 250 euros and I don't want to buy used. I think these chipsetd are in mostly old boards btw, so I am not sure if these boards are able to autoconfigure the speed of the memory
Check the BIOS updates for the board you want to get. Most likely it will have a late BIOS update available that allows faster RAM to run at rated speed. But it will default to 2133 at initial boot.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Every budget Ryzen build I've put together except the very first gen has had no problem running the RAM at 3000 MHz using XMP or A-XMP. And that 1st gen was back when there was no AGESA updates for memory yet.
I don't really care if the ram is 3000mhz or 2666mhz, I just want to buy memory that is tested by the company to be compatible with the mobo and I had no luck searching for 2933- dimms, so I wanted to know if I could expand my search in 2933+ dimms or if the CPU limited my options. If I understand correctly there is not such issue.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Then you have to tell us which board you decided on. But in all honesty, any brand name RAM will work. And it doesn't matter what the rated speed of the RAM is. It will either work at the rated speed or at worst stay at the slower default speed.

The RAM listed in a motherboard's QVL is just the RAM they had time to verify during testing. I never pay any attention to that. It can be important if the board has 4 DIMM slots and you plan on populating all 4 slots with the fastest RAM, however. Then things can get a bit more dicey.

Reactions: damric

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Then you have to tell us which board you decided on. But in all honesty, any brand name RAM will work. And it doesn't matter what the rated speed of the RAM is. It will either work at the rated speed or at worst stay at the slower default speed.

The RAM listed in a motherboard's QVL is just the RAM they had time to verify during testing. I never pay any attention to that. It can be important if the board has 4 DIMM slots and you plan on populating all 4 slots with the fastest RAM, however. Then things can get a bit more dicey.
I am thinking to buy this mobo: Gigabyte A320M-S2H (rev. 1.0)
The ram that I want to buy is listed on the qvl, but it says that only one dim of this ram is supported and because amd's apus benefit from dual channel ram I want to buy two of the same ram sticks: Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400MHz (CT8G4DFS824A)
It will work probably but I am not sure