[SOLVED] R.I.P. Windows 7!

Solution
I just don't understand why Microsoft can't update it's OS's, similar to Linux distros. Windows 7 was perfect in almost every way. No sense in making a new OS ever 3-5 years, when you already have a perfectly capable platform. Just update it with the latest patches, security features and drivers.
11 years.
$$
Changing threats
Changing hardware architecture

At some point, they want to sell you a new OS. Whether in a new PC, or standalone.
The company does exist to make money, ya know.

The Linux distro you ran in 2009 is not the same as you're running today. Even it is the same 'name'.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you throw money at MS via extended support, then you have until 2023. I imagine a lot of terrible businesses will go down this route rather than refresh their legacy OS for as long as they can. Or they live in China.

Heck, not like you can't take security updates from newer OS, reverse engineer them and make custom distros. Happened for XP for a long time (might still be happening), Same with DOS.

mangaman

Honorable
I just don't understand why Microsoft can't update it's OS's, similar to Linux distros. Windows 7 was perfect in almost every way. No sense in making a new OS ever 3-5 years, when you already have a perfectly capable platform. Just update it with the latest patches, security features and drivers.

Reactions: mkaafy and Endre

USAFRet

Titan
11 years.
$$
Changing threats

At some point, they want to sell you a new OS. Whether in a new PC, or standalone.

The Linux distro you ran in 2009 is not the same as you're running today. Even it is the same 'name'.

Solution

mangaman

Honorable
11 years.
$$
Changing threats

Good points. However MS said that 10 will be the last OS ever made by them. Whether or not it's true, is up for speculation.

USAFRet

Titan
Good points. However MS said that 10 will be the last OS ever made by them. Whether or not it's true, is up for speculation.
The Win 10 today is not the same Win 10 that was released in 2015.

Same name, not the same software.
And they've moved the revenue stream from direct OS sales to gathering it elsewhere.

They might as well as just label it "Windows", instead of a version number. The vast majority of people neither know nor care.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable

I think that they DON’T WANT people to be on Win XP or Win7 anymore!
They gave the update to Win10 for free.
Win10 through its telemetery can keep us under their control. They can observe us better.