ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
I am building my first pc and i'm on budget, but I have a dilemma about these two processors

Is there a big difference between ryzen 5 2600 and ryzen 5 3600 I can't decide which processor is best buy here

i think it's just a waste of money to buy 3600 now but i want to see your oppinion too and also my graphics card is rx 580 8gb so i didn't check for bottleneck.

Solution
and can you check my first pc configuration aswell i need your oppinion about it and help with the case and motherboard chipset compatability with this processors
Here is the link for that topic https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-first-pc-build.3657301/

The 2600x is faster than the 2600 and it also comes with a better cooler (full size spire as opposed to the stealth)

It all depends on price difference though in all honesty.

As said either will keep up with an rx 580 no issue at all, assuming you have a 60 or 75htz screen max either will be more than enough.

Re : case
If those are pretty much your 2 options then the k500 is better out of the box as it has 3 preinstalled fans.

The are limitations with it when...

Will_38

Reputable
Jul 19, 2016
The 3600 is about 20% faster across the board, but it costs about 30% more. Personally I'd wait until 5th of November (in about a week) which is when 4th gen ryzen comes out, because then even if you don't want one of the new chips the old ones will probably drop in price. Your choice at the end of the day though.

Quick edit: either of these CPUs will easily keep up with an rx580, so unless you upgrade your GPU I doubt you'll notice any difference in games

Yes, budget is always a thing, but if you can, get 3600. We're talking about 20% speed difference, which is a lot! -not only because of gaming, but also in everyday PC use. And you don't upgrade every few months, do you?
In my opinion, there's no reason to wait for new CPU's to appear on market. Because prices for "old" CPU's won't decrease. Why would they? New gen CPU's are quite expensive and will probably sell very good. So, why lowering prices for older CPU's, which are already cheap AND will still remain interesting for buyers? I mean, sellers are not stupid to do that.
But yes, if you're ready to wait few months (after Intel releases their next CPU's), you can maybe save few bucks.

Reactions: ILi0vski
I did some testing earlier this year with some samples of the 1600 AF. A couple of them overclocked stable as high as my 3600. It put them at within a couple percent in performance in many applications, most likely because the 3600 has worse latency due to chiplet design (3+3). I would only purchase either the 2600 or 3600 if they are at discount. The 3600 has been down as low as $160 already this year.

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
I did some testing earlier this year with some samples of the 1600 AF. A couple of them overclocked stable as high as my 3600. It put them at within a couple percent in performance in many applications, most likely because the 3600 has worse latency due to chiplet design (3+3). I would only purchase either the 2600 or 3600 if they are at discount. The 3600 has been down as low as $160 already this year.
Thanks for the answer,i wanna know is 2600x faster or better from 2600 i know its 3.6Ghz and it has boost clock to 4.2Ghz but i don't know any other performance of 2600x

and can you check my first pc configuration aswell i need your oppinion about it and help with the case and motherboard chipset compatability with this processors
Here is the link for that topic https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-first-pc-build.3657301/

The 2600x is faster than the 2600 and it also comes with a better cooler (full size spire as opposed to the stealth)

It all depends on price difference though in all honesty.

As said either will keep up with an rx 580 no issue at all, assuming you have a 60 or 75htz screen max either will be more than enough.

Re : case
If those are pretty much your 2 options then the k500 is better out of the box as it has 3 preinstalled fans.

The are limitations with it when it comes to upgradability with cpu coolers etc but it's a good budget option for your build list.

Solution

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Thanks a lot, btw i read something on reddit and i was doing a list on pcpartpicker with ryzen 5 3600 and it showed me that rog b450-f may need a bios update before installing 3rd gen proccessor like 3600 and a compatible proccessor is needed to update the bios so i wondered should i actually buy it because of this,i don't want to throw my money if it doesn't work on this motherboard.

Thanks for the answer,i wanna know is 2600x faster or better from 2600 i know its 3.6Ghz and it has boost clock to 4.2Ghz but i don't know any other performance of 2600x

They are essentially the same. The 2600x comes with a 100MHz bump and better cooler. AMD positions the "X" series as the best ones to overclock. (Akin to Intel K series) But you can overclock any Ryzen 2600 on a B350/B450/X370/X470 chipset board.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The Asus ROG Strix B450-F should have an updated BIOS installed unless it has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for months.
If it has a BIOS that will recognize a Ryzen 3600, it will have a Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready sticker on the box.
So I would ask the seller if it has that sticker on the box before you buy it.
As far as 2600 vs 2600x, if the 2600x is cheaper or just slightly more it is worth getting.
I have a 2600 on an Asus ROG Strix B450-F and an Arctic 33 eSports cooler, I Overclocked it to 4 GHz.
So it performs as well as or even slightly better than a stock 2600x.

No i'm not from US but prices in my country are low there is no big price varriation

Well I think you should go with a B550 motherboard. B450 Strix is overpriced. I would get an R3 3100 4C/8T. I would not get a SATA SSD. Get an NVMe SSD. They are much faster and about the same price. Look for the Silicon Power A60 (good) or A80 (even better). Get GEIL EVO SPEAR (these are timing tuned for Ryzen, Samsung B die, and very cheap). I would consider a Radeon 5500XT instead of a 580. Get whatever case you like, but of the 2 you picked, the tempered glass one will look better and won't scratch as easily. I would get a SUPERFLOWER LEADEX III 550 or 650W if you can find one. They are very low ripple PSUs, extremely durable and great for overclocking the last few MHz out of your CPU/RAM/GPU, and priced way better than equivalent Seasonics.

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Well I think you should go with a B550 motherboard. B450 Strix is overpriced. I would get an R3 3100 4C/8T. I would not get a SATA SSD. Get an NVMe SSD. They are much faster and about the same price. Look for the Silicon Power A60 (good) or A80 (even better). Get GEIL EVO SPEAR (these are timing tuned for Ryzen, Samsung B die, and very cheap). I would consider a Radeon 5500XT instead of a 580. Get whatever case you like, but of the 2 you picked, the tempered glass one will look better and won't scratch as easily. I would get a SUPERFLOWER LEADEX III 550 or 650W if you can find one. They are very low ripple PSUs, extremely durable and great for overclocking the last few MHz out of your CPU/RAM/GPU, and priced way better than equivalent Seasonics.
Actualy i was suprised how low is the price of rog b450-f but b550 has higj price right now and with this stupid crises and online classes its chaotic

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
i think the safest and best solution is ryzen 5 2600x it has boost clock 4.2Ghz, faster and cheaper than 3600 i can buy a cooler too so im happy with it :D
Thank you all for the help <3

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
i think the safest and best solution is ryzen 5 2600x it has boost clock 4.2Ghz, faster and cheaper than 3600 i can buy a cooler too so im happy with it :D

InvalidError

Titan
It is doubtful that any amount of overclocking on a 2600/2600X will get you anywhere near a 3600's stock performance and once you add the cost of a decent aftermarket HSF to the 2600 for overclocking, you are pretty close to the 3600's price.

Reactions: damric and ILi0vski

ILi0vski

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
It is doubtful that any amount of overclocking on a 2600/2600X will get you anywhere near a 3600's stock performance and once you add the cost of a decent aftermarket HSF to the 2600 for overclocking, you are pretty close to the 3600's price.
Ofcourse it can't be like 3rd gen proccessor but i think its enough for me right now, im on budget and there is no much choice for components in my country right now and the 3600 is not that cheap right here.