okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello everyone on Tomshardware forums!

So currently I’m trying to upgrade my CPU from an Ryzen 5 2600 to Ryzen 5 5600x as it’s not working well with my RTX 3070 TI.

some said that it should work by updating your bios that is a beta firmware to support higher Ryzen gen cpus in which I did update my bios but didn’t get the CPU yet hence why I’m making this post.

I’ve did some research and found a Reddit user that has the same exact board like me and managed to make the 5600x work if you are curious my board is a MSI B450i Gaming Ac Plus. Yes I did my homework but I just wanted to be sure before I spend 300 bucks on cpu, will it actually work on my board?

if not then that means I’ll sell my board with the cpu and upgrade to a board with better chipset. I do know that I’ll lose some good features like pcie gen 4 but that doesn’t bother me much.

oh and another thing my ram is slow, 2400mhz 16gb dual channel ram from Corsair so yeah I’ll be upgrading that later since I heard that “Ryzen cpus love faster ram!!”, another is that newer Ryzen cpus having a better memory control for higher ram speeds whatever still confused about that.

thank you for reading have a good day/nigh stay

Solution
some said that it should work by updating your bios that is a beta firmware to support higher Ryzen gen cpus in which I did update my bios but didn’t get the CPU yet hence why I’m making this post.

I’ve did some research and found a Reddit user that has the same exact board like me and managed to make the 5600x work if you are curious my board is a MSI B450i Gaming Ac Plus. Yes I did my homework but I just wanted to be sure before I spend 300 bucks on cpu, will it actually work on my board?
Just make sure, before you're replacing the CPU, disconnect from internet, uninstall all processors in device manager (should be 12 in your case) like this...

Just make sure, before you're replacing the CPU, disconnect from internet, uninstall all processors in device manager (should be 12 in your case) like this:
unknown.png

and restart to bios, and update the bios to the latest if you didn't yet, then turn off the psu after it get a mobo boot screen (just shut down before it loads windows).

then install the the 5600X, go to bios and load optimized default, save and exit, boot to windows and install the latest amd chipset driver and reboot, after that you may connect to internet again and check for windows update and optional, and install them.

if not then that means I’ll sell my board with the cpu and upgrade to a board with better chipset. I do know that I’ll lose some good features like pcie gen 4 but that doesn’t bother me much.
It will work, dont worry (as long it is on the latest bios/beta bios). But B550 is pretty much better if you need te pcie 4.0 bandwith.

oh and another thing my ram is slow, 2400mhz 16gb dual channel ram from Corsair so yeah I’ll be upgrading that later since I heard that “Ryzen cpus love faster ram!!”, another is that newer Ryzen cpus having a better memory control for higher ram speeds whatever still confused about that.
for Zen 3, faster ram does not directly effect the communication inter cpu cores again because 1 ccd = 8 cores and l3 cache are unified, no more inter cpu with infinity fabric, it's just like intel monolithic design cpu but it's not (since CCD and i/o die still separated). Faster ram will help with cpu performance in the past series, and if you own 5900x/5950x, then you might need faster ram to communicate inter CCD, just like zen 2 (3000 series), but its between CCD, not CCX.

Reactions: okjak808
Solution

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Just make sure, before you're replacing the CPU, disconnect from internet, uninstall all processors in device manager (should be 12 in your case) like this:
unknown.png

and restart to bios, and update the bios to the latest if you didn't yet, then turn off the psu after it get a mobo boot screen (just shut down before it loads windows).

then install the the 5600X, go to bios and load optimized default, save and exit, boot to windows and install the latest amd chipset driver and reboot, after that you may connect to internet again and check for windows update and optional, and install them.

It will work, dont worry (as long it is on the latest bios/beta bios). But B550 is pretty much better if you need te pcie 4.0 bandwith.

for Zen 3, faster ram does not directly effect the communication inter cpu cores again because 1 ccd = 8 cores and l3 cache are unified, no more inter cpu with infinity fabric, it's just like intel monolithic design cpu but it's not (since CCD and i/o die still separated). Faster ram will help with cpu performance in the past series, and if you own 5900x/5950x, then you might need faster ram to communicate inter CCD, just like zen 2 (3000 series), but its between CCD, not CCX.
Sorry for the very late reply I was very busy lately. Anyways I’m getting the CPU tomorrow, apparently I found a cheaper one on Facebook market for 200 dollars compared to Best Buy’s 300 dollar price.

although many have said that even 3200mhz ram will slow you down with this cpu and that 3600mhz is recommended but the problem is that my motherboards maximum ram frequency is 3466mhz.

heres the thing though someone on Reddit have said that they’ve gotten a patriot 3600mhz cl16 ram working on their board he didn’t say by overclocking or if stock speeds.

so much for ram, honestly it was much easier with Intel I guess it’s the only issue when it comes to AMD but it’s not a big deal.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
With BIOS updated be sure to reset CMOS after installing the new CPU. Then uninstall the old chipset drivers and re-install the latest from the AMD web site.
Haha yeaaaahh about that process I didn’t do it…

I completely forgot about that as I was excited for my new cpu. I also got a new set of ram kit from Corsair their vengeance RGB pro line up at 3200mhz, I was tempted to get the 3600mhz kit but I wasn’t so sure if it would work and I didn’t want to risk it.

so far both are working fine and I saw a major improvement in terms of gaming and yeah my GPU utilization is much higher.

thank you all for your help highly appreciated!