Question R9 390 Black(blank) Screen on Driver Install - Repeatable

Mar 22, 2020
Hello! There are "similar" posts here but not specifically what I'm experiencing. Randomly about 6 days ago my R9 390 went blank, no system response, no mouse. Closely followed by fans revving up periodically. Black screen is consistent after animated dots screen (before login) when drivers installed. No problem when using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Consistent blank screen upon driver install attempt (doesn't get to finish). Safe Mode works fine to uninstall. Crashes in Safe Mode as well installing driver.

I have tried pretty much everything. I've installed almost every possible AMD driver (including latest), I've reinstalled Windows countless times. I've uninstalled updates from March. I've Reset, Safe Mode-ed, pretty much every option in the blue help screen.

My latest attempt was a network-less reinstall of Windows 10, no updates. Attempted to install latest AMD drivers from USB on a fresh install... same thing. As soon as ANY driver, and I mean ANY display driver begins to install it goes blank. I've been at this for 5 days, trust me when I say I've tried all of the "recommended" options.

I'm frustrated, as this was working for a long while right up until this issue kicked in. It was working with everything mentioned below for a few days after reinstall with new ssd before this happened as well.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is this possibly a bios issue? Is there a manual (hardware) reset I can perform on the GPU? Is my GPU bricked?

Any help from you smart folks is appreciated for sure! :)

ASUS M5A99FX PRO 2.0
Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb
AMD 8530 8 Core 4.0ghz
16 GB DDR3 1866mhz
MSI RADEON R9 390 8 GB - using HDMI output
Windows 10 1909(?) - downloaded early March

I sounds like your card is just at that point in time and failing "dying"

But things that you can try is testing it in another computer. But I think you will get the same results.

Could be a chance your power supply is having issues so that needs to be checked.

I usually am the guy who will dismantle, re paste, and clean out but what you have described are the signs of she's dying.

Mar 22, 2020
Ugh, I just bought this used a few weeks ago :/ I don't have the opportunity to test it out on another computer, unfortunately, especially these days... Can drivers create onboard settings on a GPU? Is it possible there was a bad driver update that I now can't administer?

Power supply is 750w Seasonic... was told it was relatively new. This error just started after I installed the new SSD... Hard pill to swallow if this is broken lol

I don't think you will have any change but do you have your old hard drive still. No harm just to see as you said graphics card went south after your new SSD was installed.

Test, un plug SSD and test system with windows on old drive and see what happens as soon as you install Nvidia drivers

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's a long shot, but worked for my brother:

Try switching to a different output port. In his case, using the HDMI port for years, first he started getting distortions and "zapping lines", then it finally died. Changing to a new HDMI cable didn't work. Changing to a DP cable and using one of the DP ports solved the problem for him.

Mar 23, 2020
i am having the Same issue with my Zotac Gtx 750 Ti ... when ever i install graphics driver a screen goes black and PC freeze until i restart .. if i manual install from device manger same problem ... DVI out,,,,
Core i3 3220
8 GB Ram
Zotac GTX 750 ti

Mar 22, 2020
I don't think you will have any change but do you have your old hard drive still. No harm just to see as you said graphics card went south after your new SSD was installed.

Test, un plug SSD and test system with windows on old drive and see what happens as soon as you install Nvidia drivers

I have tried that, and unfortunately the same thing :/

Mar 22, 2020
It's a long shot, but worked for my brother:

Try switching to a different output port. In his case, using the HDMI port for years, first he started getting distortions and "zapping lines", then it finally died. Changing to a new HDMI cable didn't work. Changing to a DP cable and using one of the DP ports solved the problem for him.

I unfortunately don't have any other video cables here aside from HDMI :/ I have thought about it, but can't test that theory yet. Thanks for your idea!

Apr 6, 2020
Bro when i read your problem it felt like i am writing it...same problem is happening with my r9 390x since late of march ...black screen during during driver installation and pc boot ..i dont know what to to ...u found any solution? Please answer

Jun 7, 2020
Any updates on this issue? I'm having the exact same problems as described, black screen on driver install and the fans completely stop. Fans then rev up occasionally to keep the GPU from overheating. Display is completely fine on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Why would the card output a perfectly good signal with Microsoft drivers but fail on AMD drivers? Also, I've tested on both Windows and Linux. Same/similar issues.

I really hope this card isn't dead... I've had it for 4 years and its been great to me...

Any help or fixes would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 23, 2020
My Sapphire R9 390 Nitro does the same thing while i play FIFA 20. The screen suddenly goes glitching then black screen.
I've tried:
-install the GPU to another PCIE Slot,
-Swapping RAM to another slot,
-Use different cable connection such as DVI-D,
-Clean the graphic card (replace thermal paste and pad),
-Install the latest driver,
Non of it working to fix the black screen.
The card still can be power up and the fans spinning normally. It's just the screen goes black when i plugged in hdmi or dvi-d cable from monitor to gpu.
Windows update has been hold for a while now before this happened.
Could this be driver issue?

My PC Spec:
-i7-4790k
-AsRock Fatal1ty pro4
-Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8GB without backplate
-Kingston 16 GB DDR3 1866mhz
-Sandisk 240 GB SSD (OS)
-WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm (Storage and Game Library)
-Seasonic M12II EVO 750W 80+ Bronze
- OS Windows 10 build 1909 (last updated in March 2020)