Jun 10, 2020
I recently completed a build with a ryzen 9 3950x, with 16Gb gskill trident neo ram (dual channel, set to timings and frequency on box) and am experiencing severe FPS drops in valorant and league of legends. The reason why I am posting to the CPU section of this forum is the in game FPS monitors in valorant show that the CPU frame time is high when i run into issues (as opposed to GPU frame time). Additionally due to a defective GPU out of box, I am using my old GPU (GTX 770) which preformed fine on my old PC playing the same games a couple weeks ago. I have an AIO cooler for my cpu and the temperatures have not gone above 65 degrees. I have disabled windows DVR, and turned the power settings in windows to Performance based on other suggestions found on the internet. I had another possibly related event where I got a BSOD playing valorant with the error 'Page fault in unpaged area'. While I am not sure if that is related to my FPS drops it makes me think that if it is related my problem could be in my RAM. Currently I think the issue is somewhere in my CPU or RAM (maybe windows?), but I am unsure how else to diagnose and troubleshoot what is causing these issues.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you all can provide!

-IronBankNote

Solution
SOLVED

I figured it out, for anyone who comes across this having similar issues, it appears that windows was the cause. I reset windows and the high cpu usage and frame time spikes disappeared!

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
Run memtest86 (memtest86.com).
Have that run for 4-6 passes and see if any errors populate.
If none do, remove all RAM and test again, but this time have only one stick installed at a time.
This will tell if there is an issue with the RAM.
the error you’re getting may be MoBo related though. So, you may need to RMA the MoBo.
if you have another CPU you could try testing that to see if the problem is resolved also.
Try memtest first and if that passes each time then you’ll want to talk to MoBo manufacturer about doing an RMA.

I ran the RAM test for all tests for 2 passes with no errors, but it took close to an hour and a half, so I took a break to post the results (0 errors), as well as do my userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29254419

I will be continuing the RAM tests for a couple more passes, then try single stick testing, but thought I'd update!
-IBN
Make sure RAM is installed in slots a2-b2. Enable XMP.

...with 16Gb gskill trident neo ram (dual channel, set to timings and frequency on box)
Yeah, I think you may have done something wrong there, as the Userbenchmark RAM test results are looking quite low. As was said, make sure the RAM is in its proper slots to enable dual-channel mode, and activate the DDR4-3600 XMP / DOCP profile rather than manually entering the speed and timing values.

Jun 10, 2020
DOCP is set to the profile that automatically comes up which has the timings and frequency of my ram, that is what you mean correct? And the ram sticks are in a2 and b2 per the motherboard manual. The remaining 2 passes of the RAM test passed with no errors.

Jun 10, 2020
Had a really bad spurt of it while playing TFT, was at <10 frames most of a few minutes...

Here are the MSI afterburner logs of that time, shows extremely high (spiking to 100%) CPU usage in cores 1-4, and high usage on core 5: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3954/YoTz6V.png

I had steam, discord, Malwarebytes, MSI afterburner, league displays, and riot vanguard in the background (possibly other small things)

Really hoping for a fix because that was gamebreaking-ly slow,

Thanks again,
IBN

Jun 10, 2020
SOLVED

I figured it out, for anyone who comes across this having similar issues, it appears that windows was the cause. I reset windows and the high cpu usage and frame time spikes disappeared!

Last edited:
Solution