[SOLVED] Radeon 5700xt Drivers Crash Windows

Sep 18, 2019
I built a new setup with the following specs;

• Asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi
  • Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Radeon 5700xt
  • M.2 Samsung 970 pro ssd

It was working fine for a few days but then the 5700xt kept giving random black screens where I’d have to restart my PC.

Then it stopped working as a whole and my PC won’t boot with the latest Radeon driver installed. I can boot into safe mode and remove this driver then it will boot windows fine but it’s not registering the card even to play games obviously.

As soon as I install the Radeon driver it crashes my video and won’t boot windows on restart.

I did try older Radeon driver versions too, same thing.

One error I got along the way was:

The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver. CSM settings have been changed for compatability.

However then once CSM enables for the card to work it can’t boot my windows as it’s an M.2. It boots nothing until I go safe mode and remove that driver.

My monitors are Asus Vn247s.

At this point I have no idea what this could be and am fed up with this card. Any ideas?

Thanks

Solution
Turn the PC off and reset CMOS.

1)Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2)Find the 2-pin CLRTC jumper on the motherboard.
3)Use a metal object such as a screwdriver to short the two pins.
4)Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
5)Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

If the steps above do not help, remove the onboard battery and short the two pins again to clear the CMOS RTC RAM data. After clearing the CMOS, reinstall the battery.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Go into bios > boot > Compatibility Support Module(CSM) > (might be a little different on your mobo)
Set pci/pcie devices to 'legacy only'
Set storage devices to 'legacy only'
Reboot.

At least for me, neither the 970 Pro nor the 1080Ti work in UEFI mode.

Sep 18, 2019
Go into bios > boot > Compatibility Support Module(CSM) > (might be a little different on your mobo)
Set pci/pcie devices to 'legacy only'
Set storage devices to 'legacy only'
Reboot.

At least for me, neither the 970 Pro nor the 1080Ti work in UEFI mode.

So when I do that and restart then I can’t click anything or type. So I can’t open anything at all, settings nothing.

Any ideas?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

5)Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

If the steps above do not help, remove the onboard battery and short the two pins again to clear the CMOS RTC RAM data. After clearing the CMOS, reinstall the battery.

Solution
Sep 18, 2019

Gotcha I did do CMOS battery removal earlier but will try all this.

Should I be trying this with the driver installed? Or not yet just try with legacy settings on first and see if I can click, then install driver?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You said you couldn't do anything earlier, resetting CMOS will revert bios settings to default. it shouldn't matter if the driver is installed.

Since the gpu does not startup via UEFI, then it has to be by Legacy. Same deal with the storage and network devices.
Best way to check: Open Run, type MSInfo32 and hit Enter to open System Information. If your PC uses BIOS, it will display Legacy. If it is using UEFI, it will display UEFI.

The mobo is on the latest bios?
I'd suggest trying an older driver - perhaps the latest driver you were installing was a beta version?