Radeon 7970 vs gtx 680 ! Read before vote !

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Radeon 7970 or GTX 680 ? best bag for buck ?

• Radeon 7970

Votes: 55 59.8%
  • Gtx 680

Votes: 37 40.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
: ))))))))) maybe ... i just fell thati have to know a bit more about that .... but maybe im wrong ... when you will get another 7970 ? only think left to know ... how good is 7970 in cf .. you read to that there is a little shuttering but maybe it;s just a lies ... if no problem with that .. i will go for 7970 .. coz i plan to go with 2 gpus in the future

The stuttering performance with my 5850s in crossfire is what turned me on to my GTX 580s and now my 680s in SLI. I haven't had to deal with it since I ditched my 5850s. Not saying that AMD hasn't corrected things, but my money's not on that gamble.

It seems like the AMD cards in crossfire could be awesome, they just don't seem to sink a lot into the driver team or they just aren't very focused on their multi-gpu customers at all. I'm convinced this is why there's a premium on the Nvidia cards.

Nvidia could just as easily tick me off if they get lazy with the driver development, but I haven't run into that yet.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

+1

It is interesting that you(recon-uk) are experiencing stuttering even in the windows desktop. I have two XFX 7970 DD and I have not noticed any stuttering while gaming or in windows. Games that I have played include: Diablo3, Dead Island, BF3, Crysis 2, Dirt3, Skyrim. I play at a resolution of 6048x1080(where possible) with max graphic settings(where possible). Still can't max bf3 and crysis 2 with my setup at max settings. The only time that I notice stuttering is when the FPS drops below 50 on bf3 and crysis 2 but I noticed that happening with my old sli gtx 460 1GB setup also so I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with crossfire.

i like nvidia just because of their driver support.it's really a big pain in the but when you have two monster cards and can't get them to work just because of poor drivers.
no offence meant to any one,just my opinion.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
BigMack70

well after 2-3 days i will know from you to that CF has no problem with 7970 :)

alrobichaud

i hope you are not amd fanboy who hides problems to make excuses for amd ^^ if you really don't have any problems with 7970 in cf ... in games like crysis 2 or bf3 .. then i will go for 7970..

and 1 more thing ... nvidia is not premium ..... they just have better marketing and more adversments ... but it does not mean that they are better .... don't be blame ... it was rumor to that gtx 680 will be 45% faster then 7970 .... and whoat we see ? it is like 5-10% faster if compare on all resolution ....

P.S .. sorry for my english :) im from georgia coutry ^^

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Seriously?
A comment like that shows your age. BTW, I can't help but get a slight case of the chills whenever I see your avatar :ouch: So after reading that thread it turns out his problem was driver related and he needed to revert back to the Jan 21st release to correct the problem. I do like to base my opinions on a combination of legitimate reviews as well as past experiences and I bet if you look hard enough you will find a thread in some forum that complains of nvidia stuttering. Both companies have had their share of issues. It's not really fair to use some random persons experience as a basis for wether to buy a gpu or not. It is generally the pissed off people who can't get a product to work that want to share their opinion with the world. How often does someone here start a thread to talk about how good their experience is with a certain product. Anyway, I think I am getting off track here.

@alro....,LOL don't get serious,i didn't meant to offend some one.i agree that no card is "all good" but why don't you agree(not showing fanboyism just telling the thread truth which always hurts) that nvidia has less 'issues' then radeon cards?if you don't then i think you need to do some research on graphics cards and you will find that it is true.
and you should not have problem with my profile.at least it is better than bieber crap :/

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I flip flop. The only reason that I use AMD now is because at the time I was trying to set up a 3 monitor gaming rig and AMD had better support for this. I was seriously considering waiting for a couple of gtx 680's and the only reason that I did not is because at 6048 x 1080 AMD performs better currently. If nvidia had more than 2GB VRAM then I think I would have gone that route with my last upgrade. The only reason that I say AMD is better is because I have read that in 3d surround nvidia throttles down the FPS on the peripheral monitors to maintain a higher FPS on the focus monitor. I have yet to read anything that contradicts that statement and that was the deciding factor for me. Also, the lack of 680's helped me decide.

darksalvatore

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
but for 1080p 3 gb vram is useless ya ? or skyrim needs like 3g vram even on 1080p? well ... *** ... same here .. if gtx 680 wil have 3gb vram .. choice will be a lot easyer

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I have been wanting to say something for months about your avatar! My wife and her sisters love MJ and I frequently have to suck it up and pretend to enjoy it. Yes it is better than Beiber. I have not experienced the past radeon issues so I cannot comment on that. After my gtx 460's, I went straight to a 6990. I do not deny that the past problems exist. I can tell you of one experience that I had with Nvidia. When I bought my second gtx 460 to sli which was my first time trying sli, my computer would crash as soon as I tried to enable sli and upon reboot the option to sli was missing from the nvidia control panel. The only was to get the sli option to reappear was to remove the second card then restart then shut down and reinstall the card. As it turns out the marvell lan controller on the gigabyte x58-ud3r that I had was confilicting with the video driver. I ended up having to buy a usb lan adapter which solved the problem. Both companies have issues.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
And yes AMD has certainly had more driver related issues than nvidia but with my last two AMD gpu setups I have yet to experience any these issues first hand.

i find nothing wrong with michael,he was a great guy and musician as well.i don't like his looks,i don't like his way of talking,but i do like his music(superb),dance and level of thinking.being a very week guy,he did some really powerpacked live shows.i think that is enough to like a guy in today's world.i really feel pi$$ed when i see some of my friends dancing on gay as$ songs like baby and asking me"hey come on lets enjoy,girls are dancing with us,why don't you come and join"and i am like"WTF?".i don't know what's wrong but i still think that earlier music [strike]was[/strike] is better than today's music.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I just can't get past the little issue with him liking children a bit too much.

I like your thinking, you be yourself and do not follow the pack, exactly what i did.
However i do like my Dubstep and Hardcore ;)

hell yeah i am a big fan of rap and rock music too.
favorite rappers-mike shinoda,tupac,dmx,will smith,jay-z(for 99 problems),snoop dogg,little bit of eminem and other great rappers too.
for rock music,linkin park,breaking benjamin(favorite is lights out),metallica(master of puppets),motorhead,30 sec to mars,evanescence,earlyrise.oh gosh i can't remember the names but i hope you got my taste.i also do like some of the techno songs,uppermost future is my favorite.

I like your thinking, you be yourself and do not follow the pack, exactly what i did.
However i do like my Dubstep and Hardcore ;)
Skrillex!

Seriously, in regards to the video card decision, I think you have to take into account everything else in addition to the pure FPS numbers. Ultimately, when judging performance between the two top cards, any FPS difference is not going to make a lot of difference towards your game experience.

At this point, I can't think of anything that AMD offers that Nvidia can't match or better. On the other hand, Nvidia has several points that AMD just doesn't offer: PhysX, Adaptive VSync, better post-processing effects (FXAA and TXAA), Frame Rate Targets, and now Geforce Experience. Seriously, for me (and I realize the points both ways), you can just leave it at PhysX; one card has it and the other doesn't, end of story.... for me. I like the idea of never having to wonder if I am missing out on something. Image quality with no compromises matters to me.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
If i had the chance to choose a sinicle old bat vs a clear minded person, i know which i would choose.

Experience can be found in all ages, you just have to realise who has it.
I hate people who judge others with what they think is true or false.
You may be 36 but i can assure you, many of us here have done things you would not dream of.

So what if his avatar is of michael jackson, does it really mean he is inferior to others?
For his age, he is a well mannered young man with a brain.
More than i can say for alot of today's pack.

Did you forget what started this? He said 'serioulsy' to me about a comment that I made about your post. That is not well mannered at all. I failed to notice the quotation marks surrounding your post as it was a quote copied and pasted from another forum. I would fully expect someone to say 'seriously' to a comment that was completely outlandish that made no sense. My comment was neither so it did not warrant that kind of attitude. I said that I did not like his Avatar. Whether he was a good performer or not there were way too many child abuse alegations against him for them to be false. Also his entire life revolved around hanging out with children. That is wrong on every level. This is a computer forum and I am sure there of many in here who really don't want to look at that face when whenever hellfire posts a comment. I have never said hellfire was inferior to anyone. He has a better system than a lot of the guys/girls in here. Being 15, he has either saved his money wisely or had his parents buy it for him. Either way, I am sure he has more experience than some of the people in here. You on the other hand preach about others judging yet you sit here and judge me just the same. I beleive that is called being a hypocrite.

@alro...,i am sorry if the word seriously caused any discomfort to you.
that's enough for it,please leave the discussion about michael jackson and his critics.if someone likes to see my avatar then good otherwise don't look at it man :)
we all have personal choices and so do i.
and the good news is that i am turning 16 on 26th may!!!! :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.