Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB) OR Nvidia FX 5900 (128MB)

Chunkylover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Hello Everyone

Well, I just upgrade my computer recently and I'm very happy with it. However, my video is extremely outdated (Being a Geforce 256) and I love to upgrade it to play the "future" games (DOOM 3 & HL 2)

Now, here's the problem?
With today's high end video cards including the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB) & Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 (128MB), I'm confused!

I love to play games at least 1152x864 or 1280x960 with the highest quality because I have been suffer enough with the Geforce 256! Sigh...

Anyway, I read alot of forums that people prefer the 9800 Pro (128MB) over the Nvidia FX 5900 (128MB), but I also heard that the 9800 Pro couldn't handle the future games that good.

Please I love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks

Chunkylover

PS. Cost for both of the cards were about the same which I'm not really concern about it.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
You like high quality? ATI hands down. Their cards have far better image quality using 2x or 4x full scene anti alaising as well as much better anistrophic filtering. However, new generation Nvidia drivers may solve this lack of quality. If i were in your shoes however, Id buy the 9800 PRO

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
If I may make a suggestion.

Before you create a new thread on a popular subject, it's usually best to browse the first few pages of the forum before posting. You will likely find some related topics.

Like for instance this one <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=356272#356272" target="_new">here</A> which shows up currently on Page 2(25 per page).

If none of these past threads answers all your questions, and you still want to create a new topic, then make it more specific so there can be a reference for future browsers with the same concerns.

--

Regarding your question, the bottom line is that both cards will not disappoint. In my pretty well researched opinion, the 9800pro -right now- would be the best choice. It's more established than the 5900ultra, costs less, much easier to find, a greater selection of manufacturers, and has updated drivers(3.5) with "enhancing/cheating" code taken out. In the 5900ultra's favor, it does beat the 9800pro in quite a few benchmarks, I've actually read that it's slightly cooler due to the huge ramsinks, and their drivers are considerably more stable than Ati's.

Your choice brotha.

If money's not an issue, then you really can't go wrong.

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman

Yes it's been covered, and the basic conclusion is they are in about the same class (one's better in one area and another's better in others, etc.). <A HREF="http://www.ocaddiction.com/articles/video/fx_5900ultra_vs_radeon_9800pro/" target="_new">HERE's</A> a link I posted in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=355909#355909" target="_new">THIS Thread</A> which discussed the same issue.

In the end decide based on who you like as a Chip/Card Maker and which is availible (FX may be harder to come by RIGHT NOW) for the best price.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Chunkylover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Thanks for the replies

Well, I just want to make a point though is that I am ONLY interest in the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro OR Nvidia FX 5900 (BOTH AT 128MB, not 256MB)

it's fairly easy to find articles of comparison for both 9800-256MB to 5900 Ultra-256MB, and I did research for both cards, but it rarely shows the benchmarks for both cards at 128MB

Thanks

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
F.Y.I. nVidia's drivers are NOT "considerably more stable" than ATI's drivers. In fact, ATI currently has better driver support (more "stable", less buggy, and less "cheaty").

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
Where did you hear the 9800pro wont be able to handle future games as good? Its the GFX series' shader performance thats in question not the Radeons.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Nowhere.

Make sure you reply to the right person.

That aside, I agree with your post. There's no substance to his accusation that the 9800pro will struggle with future games. It's actually a rather silly statement.

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman

Well the reason we post the 256mb reviews TOO is because the scores will be identical in all but the highest res and highest AA/AF. So it's info. Take it or leave it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: