Radeon HD 7990 Vs. GeForce GTX 690: The Crowd Picks A Winner

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmi86

Distinguished

Ok I just felt maybe a little rolled in to that "AMD Fanboys" comment due to my standpoint on this article is bound to attract some name calling. I just wanted to make it very well known I have no loyalty to either side I simply chase what represents the best performance value for my budget. Like I said before I only bought the AMD 7870 LE because it was at that time the hands down most powerful card for $250, if the faster and more efficient 760 would have been available at that time I would have jumped all over it lol. Like back a few years when I bought my GTX-260 over the 4870 (still have it as 3rd string back up lol)

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I won't give an opinion as I have only owned nvidia's for the past ten years, but I will share this episode.

My buddy sometimes brings his CF 7970 rig to my place to (use my precious Dell 1600p) brag and make fun of my far interior ancient sli rig. (9800 x2). His machine gives far better frame rates, but something is strange.... I cannot game for 20 minutes without getting a headache.

Power and numbers aren't everything in all fields. Do you know the Mazda speed 6 sports sedan? Brilliant numbers and power. But it is so uncomfortable, you need to be a lunatic to buy one.

Hedobum

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
"You'll have to excuse the video and audio quality; it's both loud and dark inside the brewery, and I didn't take my wireless mics with me."

You were forgiven at "brewery"

If you buy what you feel is the best bang for the buck regardless on the make of chipset manufacturer then you are not a fanboy of either segment just a shopper that wants the most for his money. I tend to be the same way however every time I've bought AMD/ATI I've been unhappy with the product. The game play isn't as smooth at places and don't even get me started on their drivers. That being said I give a little more weight to Nvidia vs AMD when comparing them due to my personal experiences. I'm sure there are people that have the exact opposite experiences and feel they should give AMD more weight over Nvidia. Those that buy AMD simply because they think they are being a "Maverick" are just fooling themselves. Would I buy an AMD card, absolutely if I felt it was the best option for the amount I want to spend.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
i love my 3 HD7970s running eyefinity! but also being said, Nvidia is smoother, always has been. and just because Metro:LL is better on NV, doesn't mean it totally sucks on AMD. the title i really found in my case was Crysis3 during the rain scenes, which the 13.8b2 really addressed, sure everything runs smoother on my single 27", but still going to run every game in 5760x1080 in that resolution that supports it. but nice article and I would not say TH is biased towards Metro:LL, I remember RAGE took over a year for AMD to address eyefinity using CFX. i went AMD for the sole purpose of multiscreen and multiGPU and quite honestly AMD is not up to snuff....

cmi86

Distinguished

Glad to see were in the same boat man ! I can definitely agree that at times the AMD drivers on my main system have been somewhat problematic when compared to the drivers for my 560ti in my back up. However it is gettting better so ill just cross my fingers and hope they keep improving ! Competition is great for the consumer.

shankc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
It doesn't give you great confidence in this guy when he makes a video that a 3 year old could make a better video. I couldn't understand a word he was saying and it wasn't lack of interest as I have one these cards. So if your going to make a video for a top rated site get you're shit together man.

Onyoursixinnwca

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Way back in the 90's when quake was big ATI hade the rage IIc chip and on the box it said OPEN GL drivers included so I bought the card... No drivers were in it. I called the support line and they kept telling me they will be out soon so I held onto the card..

I finally got the Monster 3dx to play...

Years later I tried again though just to see, surely they had finally came out with them. No luck. I called their tech support and they told me that card would never do Open GL, was never meant to. It was a ATI card/box (not a third party maker).

I swore off ATI for 15 years after that. Just now bought my first ATI card.

Turns out they still use bad drivers/crap drivers or their chips just have issues...

To be honest, at this point, I want my refund for me Rage iic chip that NEVER delivered!

You mean AMD right they bought ATI? What model did you get?

Legatus72

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Congratulations Chris! and good fortune on the sleepless nights. The test was a true masterpiece in both planning and execution.

Digital-Soldier

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Ill be Honest guys. I own the Radeon HD 7990 an I truly have regretted getting it. They have a tremendous problem creating a driver that runs the duel GPU's. I have updated as soon as their new drivers come out and I had one of their releases give me a blue screen which in turn was a chore to root out and reinstall the old drives because I could not roll back. I personally have bought games that were not optimized to work with the Radion cards but Geforce running Nvidia drivers. Many more games are optimized to run with Nvidia which will also handle Physex (which more and more games are using) rather than your processor. Also, My Radion does NOT match the GPU's correctly which each one handling the top and bottom half of my three screens and I can still see a faint line right thru all three screens where each GPU is trying to assemble the overall resolution. I am personally very disjointed in the Radeon HD7990. It may be a decent card but they cannot seem to develop a decent driver to run it. I just bought Dying Light and once again a have bought a game that does not reun well with Radeon Duel GPU cards. When the action kicks off the game drops to 1 FPS or worse and I have a killer system. The developer has posted that they know there is problems running the game with Radion Duel GPU cards. The best and seems to be most true statement I have read about this is "It seems there are some games that a Gforce card can run that Radeon cards cannot run but to date there have not been ANY games that a Radeion card can run that a Geforce can't also run." No bias here. Just $800.00 buyers remorse.

I dont know about you but my xfire 7970s run great, even dying light runs great. aslo 3 screens in dying light are you crazy? 1440p is hard enough trying to remotely max it out. holds about 60fps for me. also it could be your cpu holding you back since that game will test both components. your gpu usage is most likely dropping hard from it.

also physx is in barely any games. you wont notice any difference with it

Status
Not open for further replies.