Question Radiator fan speed very noisy

Wowdude

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
Hi there,

I have a Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 with a Corsair H60 connected. The radiator fan is connected to the Chassis port and the pump connected to the CPU motherboard port, as states in the H60 installation guide.

However, the radiator fan seems to be on full constantly, which is noisy.

I've mooched around my motherboard but there doesn't seem to be any direct control over the chassis fan, and SpeedFan also doesn't seem to have much of an effect (with what I've tried).

I've seen people swap the radiator fan with the CPU pump for better/accurate control. Can anyone advise me on this please?

Thanks in advanced.

Yes, plug radiator fan(s) into CPU_Fan header, that's only way you can control them by CPU temperature. Pump could be connected to SYS_fan but make sure it's set to decent speed if not outright full speed. That's why never MBs have an AiO_Pump header without speed adjustment, just full speed.

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
your cpu fan is not pwm tho, but the fan only run in full speed because you connect it to the system fan(3pin) not to cpu fan (4pin) that's why your fan so noisy
as CountMike said connect the pump to the chassis port and the fan to the cpu port, so your fan can run in different speed depending on your cpu temp.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately you have a difficult mis-match situation. Just to start, you misunderstood the H60 system instructions, but even they would not have solved your problem.

The dilemma is two-fold. The H60 system has a pump that must be given a constant +12 VDC power supply so that it always runs full speed. So you CAN connect it to that CHA_FAN header because it is odd by today's standards. Its labels (see mobo manual on p. 1-24) say it cannot do any control of its fan's speed, but can supply the constant +12 VDC your pump needs, so that's where to connect it. But the real problem is that the fan supplied on the radiator, according to the photos on the H60 website, is a 3-pin design. That type can have its speed controlled only by a mobo header that uses the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). But the mobo manual says the CPU_FAN header can only use the newer PWM Mode. So connecting that fan to that header can only give you constant full speed of the fan. Net result is that switching the fan connections from what you have already to the other way will make NO difference in your rad fan speed!

The simplest solution would be to by another fan and replace the one mounted now on the radiator. The fan needs to be of the 4-pin type, 120 mm size, and really should be one optimized for the higher backpressure of a finned radiator (static pressure design). If you buy from the Corsair lines, you could use this ML120 PRO 120mm PWM model

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ.../ml-pro-config/p/CO-9050040-WW#tab-tech-specs

or their ML120 120mm PWM here

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050039-WW#tab-tech-specs

Either one can be speed-controlled by your mobo's CPU_FAN header.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Simplest solution. Fix SpeedFan. You are missing a link. When you go to set up the fan curve, in a box on the left that'll show the fan on Isa buss xxxxx, you want to change that to report to cpu. In SpeedFan, you'll bounce back and forth between both pages.
In bios, disable QFan control for that header, or you'll have 2x temp controls fighting each other.
Also, you may need to set SpeedFan as a windows task, or it won't automatically start with windows login, it can't get around the UAC.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not familiar with Speedfan from personal use, so advice above sounds good. BUT no matter how you make such settings, the problem I cited above has to do with the capabilities of the HARDWARE you have, and no software configuration can deal with that. On your mobo the ONLY header capable of controlling a fan speed is the CPU_FAN header, so that is what you have to use for the rad fan. BUT that header can ONLY use the newer PWM Mode method of control, and that can ONLY work with a 4-pin fan. Your rad came with a 3-pin fan, so I suggest you replace it with a 4-pin model that CAN be controlled by the CPU_FAN header.