Rage: Performance Analysis On The PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]http://media.bestofmicro.com/X/6/3 [...] 201920.pngThis image on page 'Max Detail, 4x AA' says 1920x1800, not 1080... FYI[/citation]

Ohh, same on the following pages also...

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Should have also compared CPU scaling results with a AMD card, since they won't GPU transcode.

Also, would've been nice to see some cpu scaling with clocks AND cores, like a phenom X2/X3 at 2/2.5/3.0 ghz, maybe even 1.5ghz to see how it behaves (if the x3@1.5ghz would beat the X2@2.0ghz).

Normally we can interpolate GPU performance if a specific one isn't used, but here I would have liked to have seen a HD6670 in the mix, as it's right in the range where performance seems to vary a lot; a couple of the high-end cards could have been sacrificed to make room. I'd also like to see some Fusion laptops thrown in on reviews like this, to at least see if they're "sufferable."

[citation][nom]flclkun[/nom]Shouldn't the 550 Ti read 560 Ti instead?Tom's, proof read yo s***[/citation]
No, 550Ti appears to be correct. Look where it falls in the order of performance. A 560Ti would be up near the top, certainly above the GTX460 and HD6850.

agamedeveloper

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Why are you recording video on the same machine you use to play the game? For about $200 you can purchase an HDMI splitter and a Hauppauge Colussus capture card to run on a second computer.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I gotta say that I'm impressed that they could get that to run on dual core. You'd figure that even the 360 and PS3 have more CPU horsepower than a dual core Phenom X2 (how long has that been around?). Still, it looks really good considering there's, like, no overhead. haha

cleeve

Illustrious

The stuttering is caused by the load caused by recording the video; with no video recording it's quite smooth.

Yes, although transcoding doesn't have an impact on frame rate, just the speed that textures theoretically are shown.

cleeve

Illustrious

Um... no. Where were you when the GTX 550 Ti was released?

Looks like we're not the ones who need to check our facts. :)

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I was able to run this my old old 4 years to be exact 8800 ultra gpu that I keep on the side just in case for a dedicated physx card. I had sold my dual gtx 480s sc to upgrade to the hd 7970s.

I get smooth 60 fps @ 1680x1050 with max settings on hd textures on and 8x aa with vsync on to reduce screen tearing.
My old old 8800 ultra which is way more powerful than a console get better visuals. And better fps!

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Cont....

The fps dips down by half to 30fps on 16x aa on the 8800 ultra to tell you this game is waq in terms of the visuals and I'm very disappointed.

Who's going to purchase doom 4? Not me lol ID RIP!

Now where's is that hd 7970, ill settle for a gtx 580 classified 1.5g when It shows. In time for some seroiuse gaming bf3 and skyrim. Did you guys see the new features in the new batman game for pc (dx 11 and physx)

alandjackson

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Wow, this article misses the whole point of the game auto-tuning to hit 60fps. The benchmarks are useless except to tell what can't run the game well.

If a 460 and a 580 both hit 60fps, that doesn't mean that Rage doesn't take advantage of the 580. It means that on the 460, the game automatically scales down TONS of internal options for you.

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
When will we see another graphic-ground-breaking-futuristic game like Crysis? I still think it´s the best looking game out there, at least with some mods applied. It was launched in 2007, 4 years ago.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]alandjackson[/nom]If a 460 and a 580 both hit 60fps, that doesn't mean that Rage doesn't take advantage of the 580. It means that on the 460, the game automatically scales down TONS of internal options for you.[/citation]

Not really.

First, it means the game has a 60 FPS limit.

Second, yes, the game is capable of scaling detail; but there's no detail to scale down once you have decent graphics hardware like a 5770 or 550 Ti. Our experience suggests this, and the video we took supports it.

You're assuming there's a lot more going on than there is. The game's designed for consoles, remember; there's no hidden features that a high-end card like the GTX 580 unlocks.

I was hoping this title would be another incentive to hurry up my build. As it is, a stock Q6600 and 570 max it. I've already put a lot of time into FO3 and Borderlands... I can skip this one for now til its $10 on Steam.

Skyrim. BF3. Batman:AC. AC:Revelations. Please.

G

I get silky smooth gameplay with 2 Radeon 6950s in crossfire running at 5816x1080 (eyefinity). This is also with High texture settings, 8xAA, Max anisotropic filtering and V-Sync enabled. The framerate improvement was huge once I installed the AMD 11.10 Preview 3 with CAP 3.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
They should have let some good gamers make the game, not the programmers, regardless how skillful they might be. Programmers want to make a game "realistic" with ever more fancy codes and graphics that rely heavily on cutting-edge hardware, while not realizing (!) the intrinsic contradiction of their behavior. id's games were fun during Doom era, but much less today; in these days, keep "shooting" at things is no more gaming per se, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.