RAGE Suffering on PC; AMD Releases Optimized Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They should fix these issues as soon as possible to make sure that their engine gets licensed.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
BTW, anyone remember a AAA title that didn't have problems on launch? Even with the distracting textures, at least you can play the game. Ubisoft customers can't say the same thing. Is it unacceptable though? Completely. Nvidia & AMD for certain had early access to the release version of the game. This kinda crap should have been hammered out well ahead of time. Still, when an industry as a whole has no tangible consequences for doing stuff like this, customers get broken games. I wonder how polished it would be if retailers had to take returns on open games?

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Ouch

I never liked the Megatexture idea, but I'm also of the opinion that this JC knows more than me on this topic.
I hope he got it right this time.
I'm holding off purchase for now, as I've seen the problem 1sthand.

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
i honestly dont understand how a couple of blurry textures for a split second can bother people so bad, atleast the game is running for them. also the screen tearing is a non issue, just force the vsync on from catalyst or nvidia's control panel. they really need to give us a benchmark tool imo and let us play with the settings. i dont know if its an opengl thing but lack of multi gpu setups is a shame. and srsly when 3dfx was around couldnt u sli quake 2? i also wonder if carmack purposely held back info from amd and nvidia to try and prove the point that they should be able to write the drivers for there cards instead of having to wait on nvidia and amd

G

Deus Ex 3, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Half Life series, Borderlands, Darkstalkers.

There are a lot of people with issues that truely make the game unplayable (myself included)

Flamango

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]BTW, anyone remember a AAA title that didn't have problems on launch? Even with the distracting textures, at least you can play the game. Ubisoft customers can't say the same thing. Is it unacceptable though? Completely. Nvidia & AMD for certain had early access to the release version of the game. This kinda crap should have been hammered out well ahead of time. Still, when an industry as a whole has no tangible consequences for doing stuff like this, customers get broken games. I wonder how polished it would be if retailers had to take returns on open games?[/citation]

I don't remember any problems with Deus Ex?

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
All I know is that AMD drivers suck especially if you have CrossfireX which is broken in F1 2011, Fifa 2012 and Dungeon Siege III. I bet Rage runs like ass on it too. They will probably fix it in 6 months and at that point nobody would fucking care.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I see this game as new form of Fall Out. Also Metacritic User score is 4.2, so it was or still at afternoon. So I think I won't buy that game. I want a real pc game with lots of settings for video not a console ported for pc.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Maybe I'm lucky. Most of the complaints I have seen are from people using gaming cards. I have a Nvidia Quadro card on a laptop, and not the high end Quardo to boot. I'm running at the highest settings with the exception of AA. Though the texture pop does occur, even at a quick 180 turn around it maybe is 5-10% of the side I'm turning to. So not a huge amount of pop ins. I haven't really hit bad framerates unless it is expected (3rd person view with vista landscape and effects). Tearing, oddly enough, only occurs on menus. Also when bringing up the Steam menu, the game menu's (not Steam's) bottom half inverts and flickers. Otherwise I have no issue.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Maybe now Carmack will FINALLY STFU and stop showing off.

[citation][nom]rcmaniac25[/nom]Maybe I'm lucky. Most of the complaints I have seen are from people using gaming cards. I have a Nvidia Quadro card on a laptop, and not the high end Quardo to boot. I'm running at the highest settings with the exception of AA. Though the texture pop does occur, even at a quick 180 turn around it maybe is 5-10% of the side I'm turning to. So not a huge amount of pop ins. I haven't really hit bad framerates unless it is expected (3rd person view with vista landscape and effects). Tearing, oddly enough, only occurs on menus. Also when bringing up the Steam menu, the game menu's (not Steam's) bottom half inverts and flickers. Otherwise I have no issue.[/citation]

Umm... if the game doesn't run properly on GAMING cards, it's crap.

[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]I bet on SSD setup this would not happen.[/citation]

Interesting idea... it reminds me of how SSD significantly speeds up the rendering in WoW after level transition. You're probably right, but those without an SSD should be able to play the game, nevertheless.

And it's pathetic that there're almost no graphical settings... I love it when the game has a whole bunch of stuff to adjust. No settings = fail.

Overall, I'm glad I didn't get this game and probably never will.

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]OuchI never liked the Megatexture idea, but I'm also of the opinion that this JC knows more than me on this topic.I hope he got it right this time.I'm holding off purchase for now, as I've seen the problem 1sthand.[/citation]im playing the game right now on the recent nvidia beta drivers and havent had one problem except the screen tearing which was easily fixed by forcing it on outside the game. other then that the game has run flawlessly on my gtx 460 at 8x AA and gpu transcoding on

OMG that texture popping is ridiculous.

It can happen once, and then it should be cached. If you turn right, and the right fills in, when you go back to look to the left, what you were just looking at, it should definitely not have texture popping.

I could understand it for any area / scenery you had not yet looked at, but if you were literally just looking at it a second ago, and your character hasn't even moved a single step, OMG!

That's totally unacceptable. They should have just made the game like the original Myst.

This is assuming of course that the user's experience displayed in that youtube video is the 'norm'.

I considered pre-ordering this game for about 5 minutes but figured BF3 and SW:TOR was enough of a gamble. Still considering Skyrim, but I doubt I will ever pre-order again, unless its discounted with free shipping from a place like newegg (my BF3 order, for example).

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
This is a question for id;
> What was the graphics hardware you've used and the driver version, during buy-off and quality control of the software, before releasing the product to store?

This is also your responsibility to ensure that customer will not ran into problems.

G

Yay Im not alone :) I just got a 6950 for this game and a few other to find out its not working right. This is my first ATI card and I am happy to see they have release a quick fix.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
developers have gotten very lazy the past decade. now that they are making more because more people are gaming, they care less because they don't need to put in the same quality of work into a game to reap the same reward.

sigh. fuck the system.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"unless you're on a laptop and installing drivers directly from AMD or Nvidia screws up the entire system, forcing you to wait on the OEM to maybe perhaps someday update their OEM drivers -end rant"

YOU ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT!!!!
#1 reason to *NOT* buy a laptop PC for gaming. Good luck getting updated proprietary VGA drivers for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS