[SOLVED] Raid 0 dissapears randomly

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Hi , this problem is making me go crazy,

I have 4 WD RED 4TB drives, in Raid 0 arraid, the 4 disks are on a external usb3, 4 bay case. for some reason it works sometimes and then the raid 0 dissapears, the disks are all ok , they appear in device manager and have done pysical tests to them they are all ok, but raid 0 just doesnt mount, until one day for no reason it pops out again,

I have had these same problem with another case, i thought the problem was the case ( thunderbolt 3, 4 bay) so i bought a usb 3 one and it worked for a while, now same problem again, its making me go crazy dont know what to do, this isnt the first trime its happened and i have reformated the drives created new raid, works for a bit and then random dissapearing again.

I have tried many things like updating bios etc

its a gigabyte designare mb, intel i9900k.

i would just reformat and forget about Raid 0 but have some info i dont want to lose.

disks appear in disk manager as Basic, with black color sayin unallocated, to of them seem to have 2048gb and 1678 gb partitions the other dont.

Solution
i just checked i have F8 Bios installed, i didnt know they released a new one on jan..for better or for worse. what i did notice is in bios in the usb section only 3 of the 4 disks i use for raid appear, but then in windows in disk managment there is the 4 of them.at this point i really dont know what to do...
swap the mobo it's a mobo issue no the boxes everyone who has this board has external box issues whether they be raid, hot swap, or whatever if you don't believe me look it up
Hi , this problem is making me go crazy,

I have 4 WD RED 4TB drives, in Raid 0 arraid, the 4 disks are on a external usb3, 4 bay case. for some reason it works sometimes and then the raid 0 dissapears, the disks are all ok , they appear in device manager and have done pysical tests to them they are all ok, but raid 0 just doesnt mount, until one day for no reason it pops out again,

I have had these same problem with another case, i thought the problem was the case ( thunderbolt 3, 4 bay) so i bought a usb 3 one and it worked for a while, now same problem again, its making me go crazy dont know what to do, this isnt the first trime its happened and i have reformated the drives created new raid, works for a bit and then random dissapearing again.

I have tried many things like updating bios etc

its a gigabyte designare mb, intel i9900k.

i would just reformat and forget about Raid 0 but have some info i dont want to lose.

disks appear in disk manager as Basic, with black color sayin unallocated, to of them seem to have 2048gb and 1678 gb partitions the other dont.
I know you said you test the drives bit dod you check their helth if a drive if failing it can caise this issue... It and also be caused by a failing raid drive... So if the mobo if havi g a issue with running raid control it will also give this issue... Have you made sure your mother board raid controler drivers are fully installed and upti date

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
I know you said you test the drives bit dod you check their helth if a drive if failing it can caise this issue... It and also be caused by a failing raid drive... So if the mobo if havi g a issue with running raid control it will also give this issue... Have you made sure your mother board raid controler drivers are fully installed and upti date

Yes, i have updated drivers even bios everytime a new one comes along, done surface scans to all disks and s.m.a.r.t says they are all good.

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
You could always try to test the HDD capabilities by running a RW benchmark software. Also by copying a large file to the hdd should be able to tell if there are performance drops that is normally not associated by healthy CMR drives.

Do you mean like crystal mark and such? if so i have tested the drives and they are working correctly, the strange thing is that ocassianally it will come back, randomly the raid volume would mount, for no reason, waiting for it to mount so i can backup but not having luck, its just so weird i t comes and goes, if it was corrupted it wouldnt, right?

If drives are ok, then it's probably problem with your external usb3, 4 bay case.
What model enclosure is it btw?

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
If drives are ok, then it's probably problem with your external usb3, 4 bay case.
What model enclosure is it btw?

The case im using right now is SilverStone SST-TS431U-V2 . The thing is i also thought it was the enclosure, before this i was using a Akitio Quad X thunderbolt 3. and i bought this usb 3 one thinking it was the enclosure. but its doing the same thing, strange thing is the silverstone USB 3 one worked flawlessy for a month and then it stopped mounting, and then it randomly came back. i have been waiting for it to come back for a few days so i can backup and erase everything but even if this happens what do i do with these drives? just use them forever as single drives? i really wanted Raid 0 for the performance, but really frustrated right now.

Just ran a test in HD tune on every hard drive and everything went good i guess, the graph didnt show any big dips it gradually went down, with a max of 153MB and min of 65MB. health tab ok in every slot.
everyone is sitting here looking at the smaller picture due to the factor it's a cheaper fix in the short run the issue doesn't seem to be the enclosures or the dives at this point it's all pointing more to the motherboard not wanting to run raid 0. the raid controller on the board sound like it is failing. whats the system you are trying to raid on "specs"

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
everyone is sitting here looking at the smaller picture due to the factor it's a cheaper fix in the short run the issue doesn't seem to be the enclosures or the dives at this point it's all pointing more to the motherboard not wanting to run raid 0. the raid controller on the board sound like it is failing. whats the system you are trying to raid on "specs"

Hi, my specs are mainboard: Z390 DESIGNARE, 32Gb ddr4 ram, Intel 9900k procesor. but im doing Software Raid, i have tried with windows stripping and with a software called softraid, both times the same. dont i need to plug the drives internally to use hardware raid?

Hi, my specs are mainboard: Z390 DESIGNARE, 32Gb ddr4 ram, Intel 9900k procesor. but im doing Software Raid, i have tried with windows stripping and with a software called softraid, both times the same. dont i need to plug the drives internally to use hardware raid?
no even if they are using a external bay they will still use the mobo raid controller with pass through basically

no even if they are using a external bay they will still use the mobo raid controller with pass through basically
sorry for the late reply one moment and i'll look into your system a little.

ehhh question question was windows set up for raid at all before the external bay was added or did you set up raid after windows was installed?

Intel themselfs HIGHLY recommeds EVEN if you are going to be setting up raid device at a later date WINDOWS be installed and preped with raid initialized otherwise THIS exact problem will be most likely to be to accrue, along with adding new drives in as you go to a old raid set up. so if you have been adding drive over time this could have also caused the issue. will doing raid system always install windows with raid staged

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
ehhh question question was windows set up for raid at all before the external bay was added or did you set up raid after windows was installed?

Intel themselfs HIGHLY recommeds EVEN if you are going to be setting up raid device at a later date WINDOWS be installed and preped with raid initialized otherwise THIS exact problem will be most likely to be to accrue, along with adding new drives in as you go to a old raid set up. so if you have been adding drive over time this could have also caused the issue. will doing raid system always install windows with raid staged

Im a bit lost here, sorry, but how can i set up raid without having the disks conected? what i did was connect the enclosure and with those drives visible in disk manager made a stripped volume. or with softraid, once they appeared in the software created a raid 0. shoould i have done it another way? i will look into how to initialize raid on windows as this is new to me. also, i dont add new drives to the raid its a raid 0 with the same 4 drives all along, thanks!

I did not know this i thought it was completely software and non dependent of mobo.
it is technically just via software at this point but still component from the tower communicating with the external bay which in essences means they are using each other.
Im a bit lost here, sorry, but how can i set up raid without having the disks conected? what i did was connect the enclosure and with those drives visible in disk manager made a stripped volume. or with softraid, once they appeared in the software created a raid 0. shoould i have done it another way? i will look into how to initialize raid on windows as this is new to me. also, i dont add new drives to the raid its a raid 0 with the same 4 drives all along, thanks!
one moment been looking at other post since this i will see if i can post the link i was just reading.

TRENDING THREADS