RAID-0 temporarily hanging

I just raided 2 WD 36gig Raptors on a Broadcom 4852 Raid Controller in
RAID-0 configuration. This is my O/S disk with Windows XP Pro on it.

The Windows install went fine on it, but working in Windows, I notice
the raided drives will sometimes hang for maybe 4-5 seconds where I
can't even move the mouse cursor. The hang will eventually clears up,
but this is extremely annoying. It seems to happen when I'm
transferring a lot of data or accessing other hard drives on the raid
controller. Is this common for raided drives? I updated to the latest
firmware and Windows XP drivers.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I don't think this is the case with WD Raptors. I have heard of many
success stories with them in RAID-0 configuration.

You must not have RAID installed if youre acessing the "other drive" connected
to the controller.In RAID 0 the 2nd hd is unaccessable,it doesnt show in
xp,it
will only show in RAID boot menu,and the RAID software.Do you have a RAID
boot menu as xp starts,with intel RAID software,the two drives are shown,what
does broadcom show.Also,try updating the controller drivers in device
mgr,also
if intel chipsets are on the board get the software from intel.

"davidyeo@gmail.com" wrote:

> I just raided 2 WD 36gig Raptors on a Broadcom 4852 Raid Controller in
> RAID-0 configuration. This is my O/S disk with Windows XP Pro on it.
>
> The Windows install went fine on it, but working in Windows, I notice
> the raided drives will sometimes hang for maybe 4-5 seconds where I
> can't even move the mouse cursor. The hang will eventually clears up,
> but this is extremely annoying. It seems to happen when I'm
> transferring a lot of data or accessing other hard drives on the raid
> controller. Is this common for raided drives? I updated to the latest
> firmware and Windows XP drivers.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions.

When I say I'm accessing another hard drive, I'm talking about another
HD (not part of my raided drives). The 3rd drive is connected to the
controller, but not raided.

dl

You might want to read the post of 04/08/2005
subject "Western Digital Drives and Raid - Warning"

see if it applies

<davidyeo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I just raided 2 WD 36gig Raptors on a Broadcom 4852 Raid Controller in
> RAID-0 configuration. This is my O/S disk with Windows XP Pro on it.
>
> The Windows install went fine on it, but working in Windows, I notice
> the raided drives will sometimes hang for maybe 4-5 seconds where I
> can't even move the mouse cursor. The hang will eventually clears up,
> but this is extremely annoying. It seems to happen when I'm
> transferring a lot of data or accessing other hard drives on the raid
> controller. Is this common for raided drives? I updated to the latest
> firmware and Windows XP drivers.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions.

dl

Well you certainly have a problem.