frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
I currently have a server at home and it houses 4 drives in it and does raid 5. Pretty happy with it but the raid is filling up.

I'm interested in creating another raid 5 of some sorts and using a device instead of doing another server setup would be great.

Looking around it wasn't obvious what a good choice was.

Tom's hardware did a review on the TeraStation by Buffalo Technology so I checked that out. It would meet all of my needs except for that fact that I don't like the idea of it coming with harddrives installed already. I would want to buy and install my own drives into the unit.

Are there such products out there like the TeraStation that you can add your own drives to and it's ready to go?

Again, I'm looking along the lines of a raid 5 applicance..

Thanks

Frenchy

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
No prob, I've been eying that unit for a while, they also make a lower model as well. It's go various stamps of approval, like Toms.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
It wasn't obvious to me after reading the specs but the 5200B has 5 drives in it.

Can you install just 4 drives and enable raid 5 and add a 5th drive later on without a big hassle of moving data off and back on for a rebuild?

Frenchy