[SOLVED] RAID1 and disaster recovery

gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Hi,
I configured a RAID 1 using a LSI board MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i
1HYGvfB.jpg

I've also installed MegaRAID storage manager.

In the case an HDD breaks, what would be the procedure to recover data from the other HDD?

Solution
If the event one drive only fails, you should receive notification of it's failure thru the RAID software (and possibly with a RAID controller card beep code?), but with the system hopefully continuing to operate normally off the remaining drive, one of the reasons for RAID 1 is preventing systems from being down due to a single drive's failure...

(In theory, no 'data recovery process is needed at this point...)
If the event one drive only fails, you should receive notification of it's failure thru the RAID software (and possibly with a RAID controller card beep code?), but with the system hopefully continuing to operate normally off the remaining drive, one of the reasons for RAID 1 is preventing systems from being down due to a single drive's failure...

(In theory, no 'data recovery process is needed at this point...)

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Given a valid RAID 1, the array tells you that one of the drives is dead/dying, and that the array is degraded.
Swap in a new drive and let it rebuild.

However....'disaster recovery' is more than just a dead physical drive. Malware, ransomware, accidental deletion, etc, etc....none of those things are covered with a RAID 1.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Latest posts