victorcash33

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hello,

I am currently upgrading the ram on my MSI MS-7184 motherboard which currently has stock 1/2 mb of ram with two sticks of
Corsair XMS 2 GB DDR1 Desktop Memory Kit CMC2GX1M2A400C3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QGHJE6/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Should I take out the stock ram to better utilize the new 2gb ram im putting in?

I think ive read that all ram brands should be the same, or should I use the extra 2 spaces and run my pc with 2.5 gb of ram?

Thank you

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
If you use 2 different types of ram it makes no real difference UNLESS one set runs slower, your computer will run your faster/bigger sticks at the same speed as the slower ones but you can always just try and look at CPUID or other hardware monitoring software to see what they are running at :)

victorcash33

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Thank you very much for the help

UNFORTUNATELY

Instead of doing some more thorough research myself when buying a video card, I asked an eBay seller if one of his video cards would fit my pc (gave him my pc model no.) he said yes..... of course.

First time I tried to boot pc with new video card it didnt start up (PC turned on but no image on monitor)

Took video card out, turned it on again, same problem (no image). So now I dont have a pc to put all my new parts in :/

It's my fault for not doing the research myself, turns out the video card I was using required a recommended 400w power supply.

My pc was only 250w

Does anyone know what could have happened? Is something like this fixable? I was only trying to upgrade my pc with a low budget, I hope I dont have to buy a whole new one now :(

That should not have damaged your pc. Yes, the stronger video card would not work without a stronger psu, but no damage should have been done.
Reattach the monitor to your integrated video adapter, and in the bios make it the primary boot image.

If, by any chance that does not work, a 400w psu is not that expensive. But... Do not try to economize with a cheap psu. Get Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, or PC P&C and you can be assured of quality.
This Corsair 450w unit is an excellent one for $35 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

victorcash

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Ok so I recently tried to hook up my pc again and it started up this time, im not sure what was going on last time, my monitor would not pick up an image even after removing my video card.

Thank you very much for your help, I have on last question.

When choosing a power supply do I have to worry about how much wattage im using?

Or do I just need to worry about the form factor, dimensions, and having a compatible connector?

I think my processor is 2.0 ghz

Thank you

Most of the power is used by the discrete video card.

As a rule, look at your graphics card, and see what, if any number of auxiliary 6 or 8 pin pcie connectors it requires. A quality psu with sufficient connectors will power your system well. This assumes a normal complement of a couple of hard drives, fans, dvd's etc.

If the graphics card does not need discrete connectors, it will be powered by the pcie slot, and a 400w unit will be more than enough.