Question RAM bottleneck?

May 5, 2020
Hello,
First of all here are my specs
CPU- AMD A8-6600k Apu 3.9Ghz overclocked to 4.4 Ghz
GPU- AMD Radeon R7 250 1 ddr4 vram
Motherboard - ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+
RAM - 2x4 gb DDR3 Kingston Ram single channel 1600MHz.

So here is my problem I think it is? I have gotten into the valorant beta and my friend that has a significantly weaker pc runs it at the same framerate I do. Which is quite low around 50-80 fps. So I thought it was a cpu bottleneck but my cpu didn't go at max speed. So I've been doing a bunch of tests. Firstly, I ran MSI Afterburner in game to check my usage. GPU usage in an online game was very low around 30-50%. So again I thought it was a cpu bottleneck so I decided to overclock it. And I did and the game became only a bit smoother but no fps increase. Cpu usage dropped so I counted that out. I started doing BurninTests. I ran the benchmark test on all my assets. The CPU,GPU,RAM...etc. While I was doing that I ran the MSI again and even though I set in the program my GPU usage to be 100% it was only 50% running around avarage 35fps in the Asteroids video. So I thought my GPU had a temp throttle. I ran the fans at 100% and ran the test again still 50% usage. Then I ran the gpu test all byitself and to my suprise the gpu usage was around 95-100%. Then I figured it wasn't the temp. Then I slowly started adding the other tests to the stress test. And one by one everything worked fine, but as soon as I added the ram test. The gpu usage dropped down to 40-50% usage. So I figured it was also happening in game. When I'm in single player like in practice range I don't require as much memory as in an online game. So my fps in practice range was around 200 but as soon I enter an online game it drops to 50-70fps. Can it be that my ram is bottlenecking my gpu? Sorry if this is kinda long I am not very techy experienced and I want to be sure about my next steps as I want to play this game really badly.
It took me almost 2 weeks to diagnose this haha. Also you can recommend me what to do next as my ram can't be overclocked I already tried that.
Thanks for the help.
EDIT: also the gpu usage in the practice range was around 70-100%

Last edited:
May 5, 2020
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd/hdd usage during the game?
malware scan the system?
CPU usage around 80% temps are around 50-65C°
GPU usage in practice range is around 80-90 temps are averaging around 45-55C°
RAM usage I didn't measure all the time but once it was 7 gb in use.
I'll try the malware scan and chek the usage on HDD.But honestly its highly unlikely that its malware I did a fresh windows install just few days ago and this problem was existant before that.
EDIT: As soon as I enter a online game fps drops from 200 to 50-70 and with that gpu usage drops to 30-50%

Last edited: