[SOLVED] RAM: Checking Speed & Performance Benchmarking

ct007

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
So I have DDR4-2400. When I run the command, 'wmic memorychip get speed', it shows 2133 MHz effective speed no matter what RAM settings are used. CPU-Z shows 2400(1200x2) MHz effective speed. The 'wmic' command must only be showing the RAM's base configuration speed, NOT its actual configured speed..? While CPU-Z does show the correct, currently configured speed.

BIOS set to XMP Profile 1(1200/2400):
HXRwlLa.png

BIOS set to XMP Auto(1066/2133):
UHTgiGG.png

What are some good RAM performance benchmarks I can use to test 2133 VS 2400? Diagnostics and error tests are useless for performance.

Last edited:
Kinda yes and no.
Some processors only support slower speeds, pentium, Core I3. These fit the same motherboards as faster processors with faster memory speeds.
When you first boot it will always run at the slower speeds for slower processors to work.
If you processor officially supports 2400 speed then setting memory to 2400 is not overclocking.
If it only supports 2133 then setting it to 2400 is overclocking the memory controller on processor.

Reactions: ct007
So I have DDR4-2400. When I run the command, 'wmic memorychip get speed', it shows 2133 MHz effective speed no matter what RAM settings are used. CPU-Z shows 2400(1200x2) MHz effective speed. The 'wmic' command must only be showing the RAM's base configuration speed, NOT its actual configured speed..? While CPU-Z does show the correct, currently configured speed.

BIOS set to XMP Profile 1(1200/2400):
HXRwlLa.png

BIOS set to XMP Auto(1066/2133):
UHTgiGG.png

What are some good RAM performance benchmarks I can use to test 2133 VS 2400? Diagnostics and error tests are useless for performance.
A basic way to see ram speed is task manager/perf/memory.
It's not always correct but normally ok.

Ram benchmark.....use google.

ct007

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
A basic way to see ram speed is task manager/perf/memory.
It's not always correct but normally ok.
Only Windows 10+ shows that in Task Manager. (using 7)
Ram benchmark.....use google.
Ok, thanks for the suggestions, and which one(s) you would recommend. So far I've found these(free):

• AIDA64
  • Passmark
  • VOVSOFT RAM Benchmark
  • MaxxMem2
  • SiSoft Sandra Lite

I would say the most useful are Sandra, Passmark, and MaxxMem2. And the others are junkware, as they only tell you 1 or 2 data points.

Only Windows 10+ shows that in Task Manager. (using 7)

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, and which one(s) you would recommend. So far I've found these(free):

• AIDA64
  • Passmark
  • VOVSOFT RAM Benchmark
  • MaxxMem2
  • SiSoft Sandra Lite
I would say the most useful are Sandra, Passmark, and MaxxMem2. And the others are junkware, as they only tell you 1 or 2 data points.
I have no stick time with any of those tools.

I have 2 concerns with ram.
Does it run error free.
Is it moving data at the proper speed.

Memtest and userbenchmark gives me a fair idea if things are ok or not.