Ram error 512mb, or 256mb?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi guys

I have installed a 512 MB ram device. It says so on the unit

However, both my bios and windows tell me it is a 256mb

why would this happen?

Hope you can help

Thank you

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Ravi Sandhu wrote:
> Hi guys
>

> I have installed a 512 MB ram device. It says so on the unit
>
> However, both my bios and windows tell me it is a 256mb
>
> why would this happen?
>
> Hope you can help
>
> Thank you

Chip density perhaps? What kind of RAM? I assume standard SDRAM. When
you hear the terms single sided and double sided, it has to do with the
properties of the memory chips on the stick of RAM, not with whether or
not there are chips on both sides.

"Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote in message

> I have installed a 512 MB ram device. It says so on the unit
>
> However, both my bios and windows tell me it is a 256mb
>
> why would this happen?

Depends on motherboard design and its memory controller (or chipset). Many
older ones have a limit of 256MB per socket, some will only accept older,
double sided 256MB modules and not the newer single sided (or high density).
Some chipsets, like Intel 815, have a max limit of 512MB in total.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.pc.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I've had this happen with several older motherboards, you probably need to buy a pair of double sided 256mb sticks. Unfortunately
they are more expensive.

--
Michael Culley