Question RAM for gaming- should I add another stick or upgrade the current one too

Indigo121

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM to 16GB, only for the sake of better gaming performance.
I currently have one 8GB stick of - FURY DDR4 2133MHz.

I understand now that I'm losing performance because of using single channel.
I also understand that its not optimal to mix RAM speeds or even manufacturers, although I have an uneducated feeling the risk is exaggerated.

My questions are:
  1. Should I get a another FURY 8GB DDR4 2133MHz? It is a cheaper option, but does having only 2133MHz make a difference and is not too slow for modern gaming?
  2. The motherboard is MSI B150M PRO-VD 1151. It is listed as having DDR4 memory of 2133 MHz. Does that mean it cannot use more than 2133 MHz RAM speed?
So really, the question is whether to get another identical stick, or a different 8GB stick, or two new 8GB sticks of faster speed.

Thank you

My specs:
CPU: I5-6500 3.2GHz
Graphic card: Geforce 1660 ti
Motherboard : SKYLAKE B150M PRO-VD 1151 DDR4 B150 MSI

1. You could. And it depends on the games; not all games benefit greatly from faster RAM.
  2. That's usually the official out-of-the-box supported speeds. You should be able to enable XMP profiles for RAM with higher advertised speeds.

There is the possibility of performance issues with mixing and matching RAM, even if you buy the same model part as you've suggested. A RAM kit has been tested so the sticks are known to work together, and separate sticks haven't been tested to work together seamlessly.

As I understand it, if you have the knowledge to tinker with timings and voltages then it's possible to mitigate some of the potential issues of mixing and matching RAM.

Endre

Reputable
If you’re gaming, I think that your RAM shouldn’t be slower than the Intel spec: DDR4-2666.

You should also run your system memory in dual channel mode.

Fury is a good brand.
I’d sell that memory module and I’d get a kit of 2, let’s say this one:
HX432C18FBK2/32 (2x16GB; JEDEC/XMP: DDR4-3200 CL18-21-21 @1.2V).

Indigo121

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Thank you for your answers. I found a good deal on 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz and ordered it. Having a CPU and motherboard with default 2133Mhz support, I guess I'll have to play around with XMP as you suggested. Or just use only 2133Mhz of the RAM's speed.

Your motherboard only supports 2133mhz https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-PRO-VD.html so unless you get a new motherboard the RAM speed is a mute point.

As for mixing RAM it is a really risk of compatibility issues. What the % chance of issue is I don't know, I have mixed RAM and its worked but I also once had 2 kits which were identical models but they were unstable when I tried to use them together. If you get another stick of your original RAM just make sure you have a good returns policy.

Indigo121

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
Your motherboard only supports 2133mhz

Yes, I saw that later on. Definitely has a "small print" quality to that statement...

I also notice that the Corsair RAM I ordered is listed as DRAM, not SDRAM. Is there a difference or it's just terminology? On Amazon its listed as SDRAM, so I'm not sure what's going on.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

They do list it as having SPD Speed: 2133MHz , so I think I'll be able to run it...?

Thanks

Last edited:
Generally speaking with RAM there's a maximum officially supported speed, eg. 2133MHz. And there is RAM capable of, eg. 3000MHz. What happens is that 3000MHz RAM will run at 2133MHz until it is overclocked (which is what an XMP profile does automatically).

In your case you could get a higher clocked RAM, but it wouldn't be able to run at those higher speeds due to that small print.

With respect to the RAM you mention there, it's 288-pins so it's for normal desktop PCs rather than laptops. Should be fine.