ram for my laptop, how to choose

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
hello,
i have this laptop: Clevo P15SM-A/SM1-A
i am not able to anymore find it in the clevo website here: http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_pro.asp?lang=en
but my issue is that i want to upgrade its ram, that is, i want to buy some ram modules for it.
so i would like to know what are the factors to choose the right ram for my pc? that is, at what properties of the ram and mobo i should take care so that they fit together?

i thank u in advance for the help

Solution
G
G

That laptop uses DDR3 RAM up to a maximum of 16GB. I used to work at Novatech and almost all their Novatech-branded laptops were Clevo made.

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

thank u very much for answering. my concern is regarding the number of pins, the frequency, required voltage to operate, something else....
or i just go to ebay or amazon and write ddr3 ram sodimm and all of them suits for me? or there may be some ram modules that my laptop do not get full use of its capacities?

G

DDR3 laptop RAM has 204 pins and operates at 1.5 volts. Any DDR3 laptop RAM will work, but it's best to get a set of 2 as they will be matched at the factory.

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
my laptop is the following:
Model: Clevo P157SM
Product Model: Clevo P157SM-A
its user manual i think that can be found here:
i have the intel i7-4810MQ CPU

from the user manual i have seen this:
++++++++++++++
Dual Channel DDR3L
Four 204 Pin SO-DIMM Sockets
Supporting DDR3L 1600 MHz Memory
Modules (real operational frequency
depends on the FSB of the processor)
*Note: Four SO-DIMMs are only supported
by Quad-Core CPUs; Dual-Core CPUs
support two SO-DIMMs maximum
Memory Expandable up to 16GB/32GB
Compatible with 2GB/4GB/8GB Modules
+++++++++++++++

what means this: ""real operational frequency depends on the FSB of the processor"" ???
can my CPU FSB support this ram: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/p15sm/CT7765876#productDetails

G

Yes it can! :)

Solution

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

but in the user manual it says that it has to be DDR3L