Question RAM Frequency and timings suggestions (12700 (non-K))

Aug 7, 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m having some stability issues with my Corsair LPX Vengeance RAM (Part Number: CMK8GX4M1Z3600C18) on my i7-12700 CPU due to locked VCCSA. The RAM is not stable at its rated 3600 MHz CL18 (18-22-22-42), even when using just two sticks

I’ve been advised to lower the memory frequency to improve stability, with suggestions to use 3466 MHz or 3200 MHz instead. I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to adjusting memory timings, so I’m seeking guidance on what timings would be appropriate for these lower frequencies to get performance as close to 3600 MHz CL18 as possible, for my kits

Could you please suggest?
  1. Timings for 3466 MHz: What should the CAS Latency (CL), tRCD, tRP, and tRAS be set to for stable operation?
  2. Timings for 3200 MHz: What would be the ideal settings for these timings at this frequency?
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Specs:
i7-12700
ASUS Tuf B760 PlUS D4
4 X 8 gb Corsair LPX Vengeance Ram CL18

Edit:
I have also tried it with a kingston hyperx fury 2x8 gb kit. 3600 Mhz CL17. Two sticks from same kit and I still couldn't get it to run stable at 3600 Mhz.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

ASUS Tuf B760 PlUS D4
What BIOS version are you currently on?

even when using just two sticks
+
Part Number: CMK8GX4M1Z3600C18)
+
Can you check and see what the PCB revision numbers are on all four sticks of ram?

Could you please suggest?
  1. Timings for 3466 MHz: What should the CAS Latency (CL), tRCD, tRP, and tRAS be set to for stable operation?
  2. Timings for 3200 MHz: What would be the ideal settings for these timings at this frequency?
Leave timings as they are. Just lower DRAM frequency.
Make sure DRAM voltage is set to 1.35V.

You can read rated latency settings for your ram with CPU-Z - spd section.

Aug 7, 2024
The part number you listed is just a 1x8gb stick, are you using 4 sticks that you separately bought?

Yep, there's no 2x8 gb kits available where I bought it from, unfortunately. The 4 sticks run just fine on my brother's 12600K, but that again has unlocked VCCSA.

Leave timings as they are. Just lower DRAM frequency.
Make sure DRAM voltage is set to 1.35V.

You can read rated latency settings for your ram with CPU-Z - spd section.

Yea, but wouldn't that affect performance? I was hoping to get performance as close to 3600 - CL18 as possible.

ASUS Tuf B760 PlUS D4

+
+
Can you check and see what the PCB revision numbers are on all four sticks of ram?
BIOS Version - 1661 which is the latest version

I am unsure about the PCB revision numbers. The RAM sticks are under the AK620 cooler, and I can't open it right away.

Aug 7, 2024
Even though they're the same part number there's no guarantee they'll work together, I'd try one at a time and enable XMP in the BIOS (should get the correct speed, timings and voltage).

For that CPU 3200 mhz is fine.

Okay, I will try this when I am free tonight. I am assuming as long as PCB revision numbers are the same, they should work.

Also note, I have also tried it with a kingston hyperx fury 2x8 gb kit. 3600 Mhz CL17. Two sticks from same kit and I still couldn't get it to run stable at 3600 Mhz.

WildCard999

Titan
Okay, I will try this when I am free tonight. I was assuming as long as PCB revision numbers are the same, they should work.

Also note, I have also tried it with a kingston hyperx fury 2x8 gb kit. 3600 Mhz CL17. Two sticks from same kit and I still couldn't get it to run stable at 3600 Mhz.
The difference between 3600 and 3200 DDR4 on a Intel system would be minimal at the very least. That CPU is rated for 3200 mhz DDR4, I wouldn't bother going higher than that, doing so could likely result in stability issues and the "gains" (if any) are definitely not worth it.

Aug 7, 2024
The difference between 3600 and 3200 DDR4 on a Intel system would be minimal at the very least. That CPU is rated for 3200 mhz DDR4, I wouldn't bother going higher than that, doing so could likely result in stability issues and the "gains" (if any) are definitely not worth it.
Ok. The RAM does not have any XMP profile for 3200 Mhz. It can only be set to 3600 Mhz with XMP and runs at 2666 Mhz by default. In that case, do I turn on XMP and set the frequency to 3200 Mhz manually or do I just directly set it to 3200 Mhz (without turning on XMP). Asking since turning on XMP changes timings and all.,

WildCard999

Titan
Ok. The RAM does not have any XMP profile for 3200 Mhz. It can only be set to 3600 Mhz with XMP and runs at 2666 Mhz by default. In that case, do I turn on XMP and set the frequency to 3200 Mhz manually or do I just directly set it to 3200 Mhz (without turning on XMP). Asking since turning on XMP changes timings and all.,
Interesting...are you running 1 stick at a time?

Anyways the speed, timings and voltage is written on them and you can manually set it. I still think it's using multiple sticks that haven't been tested together that might be problematic but that's why I suggested to test 1 at a time.

Aug 7, 2024
Interesting...are you running 1 stick at a time?

Anyways the speed, timings and voltage is written on them and you can manually set it. I still think it's using multiple sticks that haven't been tested together that might be problematic but that's why I suggested to test 1 at a time.
I tested with one stick in. Just turned on XMP Profile and it automatically defaulted to Gear 2 instead of 1. https://ibb.co/mRM23TL

After that, I manually changed it to Gear 1 (Mem Controller Frequency 1:1 DRAM Frequency). It didn't boot and then when it did, it defaulted to default settings.

ASUS Tuf B760 PlUS D4

+
+

It looks the same. https://ibb.co/v439DH6

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Enable the XMP profile for the 3600, then go to the advanced memory settings and set the speed to 3200 and command rate to 2T.