tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Hi,

I'm running 4 x 1gb sticks of Partiot Extreme Performance 800mhz ram. I've been have issues with it, and so have been testing the heat (among many other things). The RAM is pretty hot to the touch, and I am wondering how hot is too hot.

I put my finger on it (cause no other way to monitor ram temp, that I know of) and I can only hold my finger on it for about 10 seconds before it become uncomfortably too hot. It does not burn, but pretty hot. This is at idle operation.

What can I do to cool it down?

Thanks.

What are your voltages that it's getting that hot?

1.8~1.9 is standard for DDR2. For high performance stuff, 2.0~2.2 volts. If you're running more than that?? Don't

You could set up a side fan to blow onto the memory area if your case allows. Or remove a front panel or three from unused slots to do the same thing. Again - If your case allows.

What issues are you having with the RAM? Some Mobos don't react well to 4 DIMMS, and force an underclock before they'll run stably.

tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007

Have them set at 2.1v.

My issues are listed here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245562-31-system-boot-post-fixed-inside

I thought I had it fixed but then it regressed. I did a bios update today (which I thought I already did, but didn't), and everything seems to be running okay again. Stress tested it all afternoon with Prime95 and it's still running. Only, that's been done before and after a bit goes back to the same problem.

I am still worried about the ram being too hot.

System:
Q6600 - stock cooler
GA-P35-DQ6
4 x 1 GB Patriot Extreme PC6400 (4-4-4-12)
Corsair HX620 powersupply
eVga 8800 GTX
Seagate 500gb Sata drive
Samsung dvd burner sata drive
CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Your worrying about nothing, my ram to the touch is warm/hot when stressed. I gave you a link to help tame the heat down so whats the problem? Just because you can update your bios doesn't mean you should, if you having hardware compatiblity problems then a bios update might fix the problem if there is one.

When I first got my mobo it came with 1004 bios version and in 8 months haven't updated it because I have no problem whatsoever, you need to check in the newer bios update weather there are any fixxes that you might be having problems with. If not then you shouln't update unless your having mobo incompatibiltys with your hardware connected to it.

OK - IIRC, the +0.3 volts you have your memory set on (if it's the same as the way your thread ended) should equate to 2.1 volts. So you're within range there. You're close, I think, since according to your thread it's reasonably stable. Just hot and throws errors when you beat up on the comp, yah?

One thing to think about is that it's sometimes difficult for some Mobos to drive 4 DIMMS at the speeds/timings they're rated at. This may well be the case here. Same for me: My board doesn't like driving 4 at 1066 at all. It'll do 1000 if I push it fairly hard. But in the end common sense won out and I settled for DDR2 800, good timings and lower voltage.

This may be the case for you, as well. You're running them at 4/4/4/12? Is that 1T or 2T? In your position, I'd be thinking along the lines of 5/5/5/15. Or changing from 1T to 2T if it's set on 1 now. Maybe even both.

As far as the heat problem - Since your voltage is within reasonable limits I'd say yah: Look into a fan.

The other thing I'm going to point out is that OCZ employees *do* read and reply in their support forum. They are enthusiasts like the rest of us, and I have seen nothing but genuine efforts to help from them. Certainly a lot more knowledgable than I, at the least. There's some pretty serious overclocking going on there, too.

I notice you ram is over clocked(is it overclocked or just clocked at 800?) according to you other post?

You can run at 1:1 by selecting 2 in the bios(dont ask why but its 2)

This means you can lower the voltage 0.1 or maybe more.

What errors do you get?

Ram can take allot of heat and still run fine...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I actually just ordered the same exact RAM as the orginal poster said. I bought 4x1GB Patriot Extreme Performance 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 2.2V (From the insert in the package). The only thing thats holding my build is the damn video card, MSI NX8800GT 512, which is still being sent to their warehouse, hopefully the truckers haulin ass during the weekend(thank-you). But soon as I get it I'll let you know if I'm experiencing the same problem.

tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007

Actually, I think it is not overclocked. The timings are at 5-5-5-13 (from memory) not the stock 4-4-4-12, and that's what had me thinking overclocked. But it is running at 800mhz per CPUz.

This is good to know, I was wondering how to do this. FSB is set at 9x266 right now, so RAM is running at 2:3. This is fine for now I guess, but I'm going to want to OC once I'm sure I'm running stablea t stock speed and that means needing to know how to tweak this. (I don't want to OC the ram).

Random bluescreens. But I may have stabilized it now. Running clean since I started this post with several sessions of Prime95 Stress Test. So, maybe it was not a heat issue causing the crashes.

It's good to know that RAM can take a bit of heat.

tsponholz

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, but what is 1T or 2T?

Per above, I think my timings have set themselves at 5-5-5-13. I'd like to get to the arted 4-4-4-12 if that's feasable. But if not, the comp seems to be speedy enough.