Question RAM Issue in Ivy Bridge - ASUS Sabertooth Z77

AmeedMv

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi,

Recently changed a case for the following components in the image below.

-All RAM sticks show up in BIOS but says only 16 GB in BIOS Infoscreen.
-All RAM shows up in all DIMM slots in CPU-Z.
-I have tried upping the voltage to 1.6 and lowering to 1.25. Currently it sits at the default 1.5v.
-Have tried XMP enabled with Profile 1 and XMP disabled as well.
-Have tried clock speeds, 1333, 1600 and 1066. No difference. (Also tried with on Auto select speed)
-BIOS is updated to the latest version.
-Have tried Max RAM setting on Windows MSCONFIG, now it has maximum capacity checked and 32gb value entered. No difference.
-Have tested each stick physically in each dimm slot and all RAM and slots work fine.

Previously this machine showed full 32 GB RAM while in the other case, but I don't know what the problem is now.
The case is a Thermaltake J21,

The PSU is a CoolerMaster 550W 80+ PSU which is brand new.

Asked this question earlier in Memory discussions but got no reply.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5lWeYMc

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Please confirm 3 things:
OS is 64 BIT. (I am almost sure it is by cpu-Z version, but please doublecheck)
Nothing else changed. You just pulled all from one box and put into the other.
Sticks are from matching set

32 BIT os will be limited to 32Gb of ram. as 32GB == 32bit adress limit.
but if you did not reinstall windows to crappy old one, this have no right to happen.

AmeedMv

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Please confirm 3 things:
OS is 64 BIT. (I am almost sure it is by cpu-Z version, but please doublecheck)
Nothing else changed. You just pulled all from one box and put into the other.
Sticks are from matching set

32 BIT os will be limited to 32Gb of ram. as 32GB == 32bit adress limit.
but if you did not reinstall windows to crappy old one, this have no right to happen.

OS is definitely 64-bit. I am aware of the 32-bit limitations and I am also aware that this board only supports 64 gigs of RAM at max. The RAM sticks are Corsair Vengeance sticks(I dont have the exact part number), they are from 2 boxes. Each box has 2 sticks of 8GB RAM. Each RAM works fine seperately in each slot.

Also one more thing to add, The BIOS splash/main screen shows that only 16GB is available. But when I go into SPD info in the BIOS, it shows that all the RAMs are in their respective slots. The issue is really frustrating since even CPU-Z shows the RAM perfectly in each slot.

have you checked the iGPU? that would be madness but maybe the igpu does take 16GB of ram for itself?
I've seen it lock up to 4GB, maybe that glitched or something.
as its displayed and detected, its eithier windows problem or driver, so my guess goes for iGPU that went bananas.

AmeedMv

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
I would say the iGPU is not taking any memory for itself but the default amount(32Mb to any size that is not bigger than 500Mb perhaps). Why I am saying this is because the GPU drivers for my GTX 970 are working fine and currently being used to output to 2 spanned displays. So no, iGPU is definitely not the issue. From what I learnt, Windows will not display iGPU if the GPU drivers and the GPU is presently in use by the Windows system.

Update: So I just checked on task manager on Win10 and it says 2 of 4 slots is being used while CPU-Z still shows all the slots being used. It(taskman) also says 554 MB is hardware reserved and I am sure some of that is allocated to iGPU.

Here is a snapshot: View: https://imgur.com/a/ht2Agiq

AmeedMv

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Part number shown in CPUz is for 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3. Memory manufacturers won't guarantee compatibility when combining two kits of CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10.

Your results are typical of someone using multiple kits of memory.

Yes I am aware, after checking out many forums, that compatibility isn't assured, thanks. But the problem is, these two kits worked perfectly in the previous case which also ran the same Windows 10 with the same hardware(except the PSU which is new in this build), as I mentioned in my original posting. I have no idea why they won't display correctly now.

Edit: The kits are also identical, which means they should work in pairs, if I am assuming correctly.

Last edited: