[SOLVED] RAM, Mixing different speeds vs latency

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hello, I have been looking to expand my PC's ram, my current kit is a Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2D3000C16, which is a 3000MHz CAS16 memory, and the issue is that I've been looking for the exact same kit but I can't find it in stock anywhere where I live (Mexico), I can however very easily find 3200MHz CAS16 and 3000MHz CAS15 models of the very same brand and design, both for much lower prices than the exact model that I currently own (about a 30% difference in price).

The question is: Would it be better to mix my current memory with a faster one with the same latency, or one with the same speed but different latency?

Thank you all in advance.

Edit:
For easier reference,

My current memory kit:
CMW16GX4M2D3000C16

Options for expansion:
CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
-OR-
CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

Last edited:
Solution
Even if you found the exact same kit you have now it is not guaranteed that 2 separate kits will work together without issue. Then mixing kits of different specs increases the chance of issues. The safest option is sell your current RAM and buy a single matched kit. Take a look at the odd man out section here

Even if you found the exact same kit you have now it is not guaranteed that 2 separate kits will work together without issue. Then mixing kits of different specs increases the chance of issues. The safest option is sell your current RAM and buy a single matched kit. Take a look at the odd man out section here

Solution

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

So would you advise entirely against kit mixing or is there safer choice between the presented options?