Question Ram Runs at 800 mhz instead of 3200 when using both sticks

Oct 10, 2019
I have an issue where when I try and use both sticks of my Vengence LPX 3200MHZ ram and i know for a fact my motherboard is compatible with it. It did the same thing with my last motherboard too. I also got a new cpu so it couldnt be that. Ive tried new ram aswell and same problem. Ive tried lots else but If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. It works ok at 3200mhz when I am using one stick. Also sometimes when i use 2 sticks it wont even boot past bios.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When's the last time you updated the bios, and which bios version are you currently on?
What's the memory SKU? *Also on the sticker. Ex: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
-XMP: doesn't work
-Manually entering frequency, voltage, and primary timings: doesn't work
-Switching slots: only one stick works in this method

Probably a compatibility issue that could be fixed with a bios update.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
cmk16gx4m2b3200c16w is the ram i am using
i updated the bois a few days ago to the latest version already Version 7B51v17
I was afraid of that... you already updated to the latest bios, skipping older versions that contained memory compatibility fixes.
Bios updates don't work like driver updates that remove the old and then install the new; they are instead added on. I am not sure where to go from there regarding the bios.

I just want to double check, but you took 1 stick and tested at 3200mhz in all 4 slots, and they worked?

Oct 10, 2019
I was afraid of that... you already updated to the latest bios, skipping older versions that contained memory compatibility fixes.
Bios updates don't work like driver updates that remove the old and then install the new; they are instead added on. I am not sure where to go from there regarding the bios.

I just want to double check, but you took 1 stick and tested at 3200mhz in all 4 slots, and they worked?
At first when getting the motherboard it worked till an extent when doing that but i just tried that again to double check and see if it was gonna do something different and it wont even go to the bios when i try and do that now.

Huh? Are you sure? I've never heard of that before. On my Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI motherboard I went from the original, F4 version of the BIOS, the one on the motherboard out of the box, to the F8 version, skipping over the F5, F6, and F7 versions. I have had no issues whatsoever doing this.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Huh? Are you sure? I've never heard of that before. On my Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI motherboard I went from the original, F4 version of the BIOS, the one on the motherboard out of the box, to the F8 version, skipping over the F5, F6, and F7 versions. I have had no issues whatsoever doing this.
Yeah, I'm sure.
If there's a significant enough gap between bios revisions, it's entirely possible to brick a motherboard.

At first when getting the motherboard it worked till an extent when doing that but i just tried that again to double check and see if it was gonna do something different and it wont even go to the bios when i try and do that now.
It's either the sticks or the motherboard slots that have gone bad on you.