[SOLVED] Ram Slot got fried,is there a way to repair it or replace it?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Here's my story:
Yesterday evening,i tried to turn on my pc but i wouldn't turn on when i press the power button,i opened my PC and i removed both of my Ram(2gb DDr2 and 4gb DDR3 Ram) and replugged them,and little did i know i had plugged the DDr2 2gb Ram the wrong way and i pressed the power button and my PC could now start but there was a burning smell and i immediately turned it off,the burning smell was coming from the 2gb DDR2 ram,the slot itself is now fried with the ram as well,and the ram slot is now not working
New motherboards are expensive so is there any way to repair or replace it?
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3
I can also post some pictures of the fried ram slot if you guys want(just ask me)

Last edited:
Solution
I see 2 sticks of 240mm DIMM.
And which of those 2 is supposed to be DDR2?

If you care to look, the notches in the slots are in the same location.
However, DDR2 vs DDR3, the notch is literally in a different location.

4fzHuyY.png

So...both of those RAM sticks are DDR3.
is there any way to repair or replace it?
If you have patience, skill and good soldering tool, you can replace the slot. I don't think you can buy new slot in store around the corner, so maybe you should try to find a damaged motherboard (which has exactly the same slot as yours) and first un-solder the slot from that motherboard. And now, if you managed that well (without damaging motherboard itself), you unsolder damaged slot from your board -the rest should be "piece of cake".
However! -when RAM fried, most probably something else god damaged too (because of high current) and even if you succesfully replace slot, it probably still won't work.
In short: is a waste of time. Is easier to find some still working used PC that some company thrown away.

If you have patience, skill and good soldering tool, you can replace the slot. I don't think you can buy new slot in store around the corner, so maybe you should try to find a damaged motherboard (which has exactly the same slot as yours) and first un-solder the slot from that motherboard. And now, if you managed that well (without damaging motherboard itself), you unsolder damaged slot from your board -the rest should be "piece of cake".
However! -when RAM fried, most probably something else god damaged too (because of high current) and even if you succesfully replace slot, it probably still won't work.
In short: is a waste of time. Is easier to find some still working used PC that some company thrown away.
The cost of all of the tools, new dimm slot + shipping would probably exceed the cost of a Z77 motherboard.
I adore your optimism : )

artk2219

Distinguished
I'm just wondering how it was put in backwards. Even if it WAS the right type.

Ah, thats a memory, I did this with a socket A motherboard like 17 years ago, its a mistake I made only one time. I was wondering why the stick wasn't "fitting correctly", and so i decided to keep pushing until it clicked, that was a mistake... On the Plus Soyo, AMD, Sapphire, Kingston, and Antec were nice enough to replace all of the parts that "just stopped working" from that mistake. It's the only time I have ever seen a ram chip literally explode, so that was neat, at least until I burned my finger on the fragments.

Last edited:
Reactions: SawmMawia

artk2219

Distinguished
Here's my story:
Yesterday evening,i tried to turn on my pc but i wouldn't turn on when i press the power button,i opened my PC and i removed both of my Ram(Two Sticks of 2gb DDr2 and 4gb DDR3 Ram) and replugged them,and little did i know i had plugged the DDr2 2gb Ram the wrong way and i pressed the power button and my PC could now start but there was a burning smell and i immediately turned it off,the burning smell was coming from the 2gb DDR2 ram,the slot itself is now fried with the ram as well,and the ram slot is now not working
I can also post some pictures of the fried ram slot if you guys want(just ask me)

You can purchase a ram slot, desolder it, and replace it, if you already have the tools on hand. But like BogdanH said, it probably still wont work, or if by some miracle it does, it probably wont work for long. At this point id just roll with half the ram and start looking at a replacement build, it would probably be cheaper than looking for a working 1155 board, and there is no guarantee you didnt burn out a channel on the CPU's memory controller anyway.

Last edited:
Experience is what you get when things do not turn out the way you planned.

---- You just got some experience.

One should not force pc parts. They are keyed to only fit one way.

What to do?

I would not attempt to even have an expert try to fix it.
No telling what other parts were damaged.

1. Buy a used replacement motherboard and hope that your ddr3 ram is still ok.

2. Consider upgrading to a current gen cpu/motherboard/ddr4 ram.

Here's the picture of the fried ram slot,hope it helps
-doesn't look that bad as I thought. But visible damage is not some indicator in case of electronics.
I would try to "clean" that contact by using some mini tools (i.e. mini drill engraver, needle, etc.) but result depends on actual condition of contact inside the hole. Of course, you also need to check if contact is still properly soldered on bottom side of the motherboard (by using multimeter ).
And again, even you make slot as new, it might still not work because of electrical damage elsewhere.

Feb 5, 2021
Here's my story:
Yesterday evening,i tried to turn on my pc but i wouldn't turn on when i press the power button,i opened my PC and i removed both of my Ram(Two Sticks of 2gb DDr2 and 4gb DDR3 Ram) and replugged them,and little did i know i had plugged the DDr2 2gb Ram the wrong way and i pressed the power button and my PC could now start but there was a burning smell and i immediately turned it off,the burning smell was coming from the 2gb DDR2 ram,the slot itself is now fried with the ram as well,and the ram slot is now not working

Looking at a picture that someone else posted of that motherboard, there are only 2 DIMM slots. So 2 questions I have are...

1. You said 2 sticks of 2 GB and a stick of 4 GB. How is this possible?
  2. It is definitely not possible to mix DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. Again, how is this possible?

Willing to bet that its a stick of 2 GB DDR3 and a stick of 4 GB DDR3... but DDR2 was mentioned 3 times.

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Looking at a picture that someone else posted of that motherboard, there are only 2 DIMM slots. So 2 questions I have are...

1. You said 2 sticks of 2 GB and a stick of 4 GB. How is this possible?
  2. It is definitely not possible to mix DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. Again, how is this possible?
Willing to bet that its a stick of 2 GB DDR3 and a stick of 4 GB DDR3... but DDR2 was mentioned 3 times.
No its real,its a 2gb DDR2 Ram and DDR3 4Gb ram

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Yay tha
-doesn't look that bad as I thought. But visible damage is not some indicator in case of electronics.
I would try to "clean" that contact by using some mini tools (i.e. mini drill engraver, needle, etc.) but result depends on actual condition of contact inside the hole. Of course, you also need to check if contact is still properly soldered on bottom side of the motherboard (by using multimeter ).
And again, even you make slot as new, it might still not work because of electrical damage elsewhere.
Yay thanks for the advice,i fixed it using a needle size metal stick,and i also dont know how to describe it in words as i am not very good at english
Hope you understand and thanks
Btw how do i change the Question to Solved?

Reactions: artk2219

USAFRet

Titan
Do you guys really dont believe me? You guys want some evidence like pictures?
I will say it clearly:My motherboard has two ram slots and two rams are installed,one is a 4gb DDr3 and the other one is a 2gb DDr2
Yes, it has 2 RAM slots.
For DDR3.

DDR2 RAM will not run on that motherboard. You can't even physically put it in. The notch is in a different place, to prevent trying to do so.

If you have pictures of this, yes...please do.

artk2219

Distinguished
https://pasteboard.co/JPC34jEY.jpg
Here's the picture of the fried ram slot,hope it helps

Oh hah, thats not too bad at all, i still wouldnt get my hopes up, but you could clean the contact and push it forward a bit since it looks like it was pushed back by the explosion and it isnt making good contact, it may still work, so long as it wasnt melted at least.

Edit: Ah, i just read that you tried this, i'm glad to hear you got it working for now at least

Last edited:

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021