[SOLVED] RAM speed not matching?

Andyandyy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
Hi all,

I recently swapped my Corsair LPX 2x8GB 2666mhz to TridentZ RGB 3200mhz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR). However, after I swapped the ram, the computer went into an infinite repair loop; so I reformatted my computer. Now my TridentZ runs at 2133mhz and not 3200. Before I reformatted my computer, I tried putting my old LPX 16gb back, but it wouldn't boot either and was stuck at 2133mhz rather than 2666mhz.

What I've done:
I enabled XMP, changed voltage to 1.35 and nothing works. It boots into the screen where it says Press F1 to run set up, F2 to continue etc.
Changed ram back to my LPX
Changed DIMM slots
Updated BIOS to the latest update from here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-A-PRO#down-bios

I'm not sure what else I can possibly do. I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to computer stuff as I'm no expert, and especially tweaking in BIOS.

My specs are
MSI Z270-A Pro
I5-7600k
Asus 1070TI
970EVO SSD
TridentZ 16GB

Let me know if anyone can help me solve this issue?

Thanks,

Solution
Hmm didn't work. When I change the ram to 3200mhz, I get this error in image below. Ugh this is so frustrating.
View: https://imgur.com/a/AkTD95J
Yeah...that's very upsetting. I found two more possible solutions, if none of these two work, then i'm really starting to run out of ideas. Have you tried roll back to your previous BIOS version?
  • "ok guys, after i tried turning it on after reseating battery method 4 times and there's no problem at all, even after i tried overclocking it a little, thanks for the help guys"
  • "Quite possible that you damaged the CPU in your endeavors to overclock. That is a risk associated with the process, and it's one that anyone who dabbles in it...

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hi all,

I recently swapped my Corsair LPX 2x8GB 2666mhz to TridentZ RGB 3200mhz (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR). However, after I swapped the ram, the computer went into an infinite repair loop; so I reformatted my computer. Now my TridentZ runs at 2133mhz and not 3200. Before I reformatted my computer, I tried putting my old LPX 16gb back, but it wouldn't boot either and was stuck at 2133mhz rather than 2666mhz.

What I've done:
I enabled XMP, changed voltage to 1.35 and nothing works. It boots into the screen where it says Press F1 to run set up, F2 to continue etc.
Changed ram back to my LPX
Changed DIMM slots
Updated BIOS to the latest update from here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-A-PRO#down-bios

I'm not sure what else I can possibly do. I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to computer stuff as I'm no expert, and especially tweaking in BIOS.

My specs are
MSI Z270-A Pro
I5-7600k
Asus 1070TI
970EVO SSD
TridentZ 16GB

Let me know if anyone can help me solve this issue?

Thanks,
I've read a similar problem and in the end it was just Windows that got corrupted. Try reinstalling Windows or clear CMOS.

Andyandyy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
I've read a similar problem and in the end it was just Windows that got corrupted. Try reinstalling Windows or clear CMOS.
Hey thanks for the reply! I already reformatted windows, and cleared CMOS. I read that i5-7600k only supports up to 2400mhz? I didn't know CPU limits ram speed. However, I'm able to run 2666mhz? So I'm a bit confused on why it says only supports 2400mhz but I can go up to 2666mhz. However, I can't reach 3200mhz as advertised...

Let me know if you have other solutions? I've been digging around but no luck.

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hey thanks for the reply! I already reformatted windows, and cleared CMOS. I read that i5-7600k only supports up to 2400mhz? I didn't know CPU limits ram speed. However, I'm able to run 2666mhz? So I'm a bit confused on why it says only supports 2400mhz but I can go up to 2666mhz. However, I can't reach 3200mhz as advertised...

Let me know if you have other solutions? I've been digging around but no luck.
You can run DDR4 at any speed supported by your motherboard. It just means that, by default, 2400 is the max officially supported and anything higher than that is considered an overclock of the memory controller. Here's some possible solutions i found:

Last edited:

Maikurosofuto

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hmm didn't work. When I change the ram to 3200mhz, I get this error in image below. Ugh this is so frustrating.
View: https://imgur.com/a/AkTD95J
Yeah...that's very upsetting. I found two more possible solutions, if none of these two work, then i'm really starting to run out of ideas. Have you tried roll back to your previous BIOS version?
  • "ok guys, after i tried turning it on after reseating battery method 4 times and there's no problem at all, even after i tried overclocking it a little, thanks for the help guys"
  • "Quite possible that you damaged the CPU in your endeavors to overclock. That is a risk associated with the process, and it's one that anyone who dabbles in it should know. I personally don't think RAM actually gets hot enough yet to warrant heat spreaders, but it's possible you are causing issues there as well. If your heatsink causes an issue with clearance over the RAM slots, consider a different cooler, or different RAM. Removing the heat spreaders is generally not advisable, regardless of ideology. As a few others have noted, disable XMP, that is essentially a form of overclocking plus the timings and speeds used in XMP profiles are not part of the JEDEC spec. Personally I would start by creating a bootable USB drive and running Memest86+ ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) for at least one full loop to see if anything is wrong with your RAM. Seeing as you've removed the heat spreaders you may want to let it run overnight in case heat is the issue. Next (assuming there are no RAM issues recognized) I would download and run Prime95 ( http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html ) and run it in Torture Test mode and see if it reports any CPU failures. Let it run over night if at all possible. If both of those pass, then I'd start looking at the PSU. That's easy to check by simply buying a new one that isn't the cheapest one possible. In general buying a PSU made by Antec, Corsair, Seasonic (these guys make a lot of the other folks PSUs as well), and Cooler Master are generally a safe bet (though everyone has lemons every now and again). I don't generally trust PSU testers because they don't put an actual load on the PSU, they just check for proper voltages, and (sometimes, depending on the tester) that the voltages are steady. I've had failed PSUs be reported as good by them before, this is why I don't trust them. Failing all of his, then you get to start playing "musical components" and swap things out. Start using 1 stick of RAM at a time, using different slots. If the motherboard has onboard video as an option, yank the 980 and use the on board. Pull any non-essential add-in cards (likely not necessary with how much is integrated into the motherboard these days). This about all the advice I can give you. Well, that and don't attempt overclocking again until you've read on the subject in depth and have a better handle on it. I hate that it's become so mainstream that motherboards come with "auto" overclock features, etc. In my experience those auto overclockers suck and fail more than they succeed. Overclocking is not a casual thing. As for those saying this isn't the place for this kind of discussion, please kindly speak for yourselves. IT has many facets, and while you may be in IT with no clue how to work on a PC, that doesn't mean no one else here will. You may go home to your OEM PC or Mac or whatever or even completely forget computers exist. Others of us go home to our self built machines and steep ourselves in yet more tech. Keep that in mind. ;)"

Solution