Question Ram upgrade for Asus VivoBook Flip 14 TP412FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2019
Hello everyone!

I need to buy a laptop for my job, and I'm considering the following one:
I'll use it for programming (in Ubuntu), and there is a possibility that in the future I'll need more ram (for VMs etc), so I wanna be sure that I can upgrade its ram in the future if needed.
The problem is, after quite some searching I'm not yet quite sure if I can do that to the extent I want to, so here I am asking for help:

The model I'm currently looking at has 8GB of ram: 4GB soldered on the motherboard and 1 slot for upgrade, occupied by a 4GB stick. The CPU seems to be able to handle up to 64GB (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html#tab-blade-1-0-3), but the laptop specification site (first link) mentions only up to 16GB as possible. Does this refer to the possible memory configurations that I can found preinstalled on the laptop when I buy it, or the max amount of ram that the laptop can handle in general? If for example I buy a single 16GB or 32GB stick to replace the current 4GB one, will I be able to use all 20GB or 36GB respectively in total or are there other laptop hardware (e.g. motherboard) limitations that I'm not aware of? In Crucial's site I've found compatible single 16GB sticks, does this mean that at least the 20GB option mentioned before is possible?

Thank you in advance!

Per the specs that system comes with either 4GB or 8GB onboard and can take up to a 8GB module. In your case you would be able to get up to 12GB.

Now a 16GB module may work but its not in the manufacture specifications so it may cause some instability.

Sep 30, 2019
My question was mainly about whether the manufacturer includes only his officially supported/tested configurations and hides possible untested but working alternatives, or there are actual hardware limitations that prevent the use of bigger modules. After some more digging, turns out that it varies depending on the laptop, but the second case might be true as well, you have to know lower level hardware specifications (that usually aren't listed in most specification sheets) to figure out. If anyone happens to be in the same situation as I was, I'd suggest to get the serial number of the specific laptop you're looking at and contact the manufacturer directly to ask for such details, since most retail shops won't be able to answer such questions.

Reactions: dryphi
Status
Not open for further replies.