Ram Upgrade time?

Vall95

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
So I built a new pc last year an put my old ram into it, it still works just wondering should I upgrade to DDR3 16GB 2133? All I use my PC for is Gaming would I see performance boost in games?
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz (4.2) OC
HEATSINK: Cooler Master (After Market)
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 SC 6GB
MOBO: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
MEMORY: Mushkin 2x4GB 1066mhz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

Solution
Your FX 8350 is VERY unlikely to run with any RAM over 1866mhz. This is a known issue with FX series systems. AMD has released statements to this effect. Some FX-8core systems will run higher clocked RAM but most will exhibit problems and you will end up reducing the clock speed to 1866.

With your configuration it is VERY unlikely you would see much improvement in gaming by switching to faster RAM OR more of it. It won't hurt, and it certainly won't be slower, but you're not going to see an appreciable difference that you can "feel". It might be worth upgrading to 1866mhz modules, but anything beyond that is going to be risky.

If it was me, I'd probably want 16GB of 1866mhz RAM, but that's because I run applications that will benefit...
Your FX 8350 is VERY unlikely to run with any RAM over 1866mhz. This is a known issue with FX series systems. AMD has released statements to this effect. Some FX-8core systems will run higher clocked RAM but most will exhibit problems and you will end up reducing the clock speed to 1866.

With your configuration it is VERY unlikely you would see much improvement in gaming by switching to faster RAM OR more of it. It won't hurt, and it certainly won't be slower, but you're not going to see an appreciable difference that you can "feel". It might be worth upgrading to 1866mhz modules, but anything beyond that is going to be risky.

If it was me, I'd probably want 16GB of 1866mhz RAM, but that's because I run applications that will benefit from it. There may be a few games that would see a small bump in performance, but overall it would feel much the same.

Solution