[SOLVED] Ram XMP OC Failed

AdamStain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Hey Ya'll, first of all, sorry if this has already been solved somewhere else but I was not able to find anything on the first 2 pages of google that worked for me.

I purchased the HyperX Fury 16gb 3200mhz DDR4 CL15 DIMM (x2 32gb total) for my system a while ago, I didn' realize it had been running at 2400mhz this whole time.

I went into the bios of my MSI Z490 mobo and enabled the XMP profile which auto switched the "DRAM" from 2400 to 3200Mhz. Unfortunately, when I attempt to boot after making this change it cycles into the error "Previous overclock settings failed, system boot with default setting and placed previous settings in BIOS menu"

I tried doing 2500mhz, 2800mhz and 3000mhz instead of the 32 but none worked.

I cannot figure it out and would love to run the ram a little higher.

My specs are as follows:

I7 10700k (OC to 4.9ghz ((AFTER messing with the ram, me OC the cpu did not change anything))
RTX3090 (From prebuilt HP if that matters)
2 sets of Hyper X Fury 16gb 3200MHZ DDR4 CL15 (32GB total, 8gb Per stick)
MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi (Latest BIOS 06/28/2021 ((updated bios after messing with ram, updating did not fix anything)) )
Seasonic 1000w PSU

I dont know much about OC, I just followed a youtube video on my specific cpu and a similair mobo. Which just enabled the XMP profile. Im not sure if the timing, voltage, etc is right. OR if my cpu cant handle it? Id like to get a higher speed so i can get more out of my overpriced system.

Thanks for reading and your time.

Solution
When running 4 sticks the maximum speed achievable is usually lower due to the extra load on the memory controller. If you look at the support RAM kits approved for the motherboard usually the 4 stick kits don’t go as high. Also you are mixing 2 separate kits, this is a gamble and there was a chance the system would not even run. If you wanted 32gb it should be bought as a single 32gb kit, mixing kits can cause issues including lower stable speeds. It could be either or both, running 4 sticks or the mixing kits.
When running 4 sticks the maximum speed achievable is usually lower due to the extra load on the memory controller. If you look at the support RAM kits approved for the motherboard usually the 4 stick kits don’t go as high. Also you are mixing 2 separate kits, this is a gamble and there was a chance the system would not even run. If you wanted 32gb it should be bought as a single 32gb kit, mixing kits can cause issues including lower stable speeds. It could be either or both, running 4 sticks or the mixing kits.

Solution

AdamStain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Is there any way to test/check to see if that is the issue without actually putting in a new ram set?

I never knew mixing kits from the same model would make a difference, woops.

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Is there any way to test/check to see if that is the issue without actually putting in a new ram set?

I never knew mixing kits from the same model would make a difference, woops.
I had this exact issue today. I bought 2x of Gskill 32gb for 64gb total (F4-3200C16D-32GVK) several months apart.

Each kit will works perfectly in A2/B2 DIMM at the default XMP 2.0 profile without a problem but when all 4 DIMMS are occupied, system does not post with the XMP profile enabled. The system does post at the JEDEC timings. Whats a JEDEC? No idea its the default non-XMP speeds. I tried to do the timings manually and the advertised speeds just aren't possible - at which point, why pay the money for the more expensive speed?

So, I called Gskill and a nice tech support person actually picked up on the 2nd ring, which is incredible in itself. That person told me that individual kits even of the same spec are not guaranteed to work at the advertised speed when combined and he advised me to return the second kit and buy the 64gb 16gb x 4 kit instead of two separate 16gb x 2 kits combined. Because of purchase timing, I'm stuck with the first kit. The second kit just got returned.

Edit: just to add some more context, the RAM in question is on the supported memory list for the motherboard in question and the Gskill supported motherboard page says that the ram kits are supported for XMP 2.0 with the motherboard. Now knowing this, I see reviews scattered here and there alluding to this but its not a widely known thing except to people that live and breath this kind of stuff. I build a system every 3-4 years and XMP profiles were new to me this go around too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

AdamStain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
I haven't tried removing them yet and running them separately but Ill try that. I might just buy a new kit that's actually one kit.

Maybe it's me but it's crazy that they have all this tech but can't make it run together.

Thanks!

Kurwa

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I haven't tried removing them yet and running them separately but Ill try that. I might just buy a new kit that's actually one kit.

Maybe it's me but it's crazy that they have all this tech but can't make it run together.

Thanks!
Yeah, I had the same issue literally for MONTHS and just figured it out a few days ago. Some motherboards seem to be limited to lower hz when using all 4 slots sadly.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Yeah, I had the same issue literally for MONTHS and just figured it out a few days ago. Some motherboards seem to be limited to lower hz when using all 4 slots sadly.

It could be the motherboard, or it could be the memory controller on your CPU, called IMC. Dualrank is harder on the IMC and if you cram 4 sticks of dualrank in there, the IMC cries. Secondly, a T-topology mobo will help with running 4 sticks but those will be bad with just 2. Daisychain is the other way around.
When you look at QVL lists, look at which speeds they ran 4 sticks at. If it is low, pedestrian speeds, it's probably a Daisychain mobo. Like 3600 Mhz.

@tmcc
XMP has been around since at least 1st gen Ryzen, which released 4,5 years ago. Now, XMP was created by Intel so it has been around even longer on Intel systems. You should have encountered it with previous build.

To OP: Either you tinker with the timings for weeks or you buy 1, note the 1... kit with sufficient speed and capacity for your needs. Hardmode vs Easymode.

tmcc

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
It could be the motherboard, or it could be the memory controller on your CPU, called IMC. Dualrank is harder on the IMC and if you cram 4 sticks of dualrank in there, the IMC cries. Secondly, a T-topology mobo will help with running 4 sticks but those will be bad with just 2. Daisychain is the other way around.
When you look at QVL lists, look at which speeds they ran 4 sticks at. If it is low, pedestrian speeds, it's probably a Daisychain mobo. Like 3600 Mhz.

@tmcc
XMP has been around since at least 1st gen Ryzen, which released 4,5 years ago. Now, XMP was created by Intel so it has been around even longer on Intel systems. You should have encountered it with previous build.

To OP: Either you tinker with the timings for weeks or you buy 1, note the 1... kit with sufficient speed and capacity for your needs. Hardmode vs Easymode.
I'm showing my age, but my last intel build was a i7 2600k LOL

That processor held its own for a long time!

AdamStain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
So I ended up getting new ram, the corsair vengeance rgb pro 32gb 3600mhz. Enabled the XMP profile and it works flawlessly.

So mixing ram from the same manufacturer and model does not work. I also made sure it was on the approved RAM list for my motherboard haha.

Thanks for the help!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The basic issue is that RAM is not identical. While few things are truly identical, semiconductors operate on an atomic level, and those differences are crucial. Brands and models aren't really made differently; it's basically just a shortcut to group things that have worked together under specific criteria and conditions. All sticks sold together are tested together and it's the only way you know for sure.