ran out of storage without using too many software and having no file on user folder

DeepakGaur91

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013
i am using windows 8.1 which i get by updating windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 over the time i never format my laptop since i installed windows 7(it's been 3 years ) in it ,now the problem is i ran out of storage on the drive on which the windows is installed it is 50gb (enough for a os to run) in space .
in programs and feature i calculated the space it is hardly using 15 gb
i am using visual studio 2012 sql server 2012 and office 2013 and couple of tiny miny software
now the thing i can't figure out is where is my space
i used ccleaner, advance system care, even windows disk cleanup tool but i cant get my space back
not even storing anything into my user folder i keep all my data in my second partition
any suggestions what's wrong

Solution

Go here and download it. It will tell you what in your system is using up your HDD space. Also, I have Windows 8.1 installed on a 60GB HDD fwiw.

McHenryB

Admirable
15 GB for Windows 8.1, Visual Studio 2012, SQL Server 2012, and Office 2013. I think you are mistaken. Also the page file and System Restore points can gobble up space. I think you need a minimum of 120GB, preferably more, for a Windows 8.1 installation.

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Go here and download it. It will tell you what in your system is using up your HDD space. Also, I have Windows 8.1 installed on a 60GB HDD fwiw.

Solution

DeepakGaur91

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013

i have deleted all the system restore file and also page file is configured to my d drive not on c and second thing is c drive size is 50 gb as i mentioned and 15 gb is right i custom installed the visual studio and office

is this can be reason i updated my windows from 7 to 8.1 also i install all the updates

and for hibernation i am using laptop i think it is necessary to use hibernation

McHenryB

Admirable
15 gb is right
Clearly it isn't as you are running out of space on a 50GB drive.

Here are the available hard disk space requirements for the various components, as published by Microsoft:

Windows 8.1: 20 GB
Visual Studio 2012: 20 GB
SQL Server 2012: 6 GB
Office 2013: 3 GB

That's a total of 49 GB. And bear in mind that that is a minimum requirement. I can believe that you might have pared these requirements down slightly with a custom installation, but 34 GB? I don't think so!.

I'm not surprised that you are running out of space on a 50 GB partition.

nismoguy82

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
The program I linked will help you determine where your HDD space usage is coming from. With that information, you should be able to find out how to proceed with your troubleshooting. Update files are stored in a system folder, that can be deleted after they're installed.

DeepakGaur91

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013

yes i am running out of storage on 50 gb partition if these are the requirement then why programs and feature showing something else
close to satisfactory answer i think i'll keep looking for more
thanks for the answer :)

USAFRet

Titan
System Restore points
hibernation file (uses space equivalent to your RAM

The above mentioned too, Treesize, or WinDirStat, can help visualize where your space is going.
You can't 'fix it', until you know what the problem is.
(and part of the problem is having a 50GB C drive)

DeepakGaur91

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013

it showed me detail information can top dir taking my space are
windows\installer =4.3 gb
windows\winsxs = 4.2 gb
users\deepak\appdata\9.7 gb

can you suggest which files can i delete

USAFRet

Titan

From those 3 folders, nothing.
Your problem lies elsewhere.

DataMedic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
You upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8. Is there perhaps a windows.old folder in there full of data from the previous install?

But yeah, to agree with USAFRet 50Gb is way too small for an OS partition. 120 is the minimum.