Ran Windows 8 Upgrade Assistance...

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I just ran Windows 8 Upgrade Assistance on my Toshiba laptop, and the first screen tells me the following:

64 of my apps and devices are compatible
11 items for you to review (wtf is this?)

Then, I clicked "Next".

-selected to keep Windows settings, personal files and apps. Then clicked Next.

Then, it tells me to buy Windows 8 Pro for $39.99.

I clicked back to the initial screen.

Then, I get this list of problems:

01-Internet TV for Windows Media Center (not compatible! wtf?)
02-TOSHIBA Wireless LAN Indicator (go to the app website fro help! wtf?)
03-TOSHIBA Disc Creator (reinstall it in Windows 8. wtf?)
04-TOSHIBA Frace Recognition (reinstall it in Windows 8. wtf?)
05-TOSHIBA Hardware Setup (reinstall it in Windows 8. wtf?)
06-TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor ((reinstall it in Windows 8. wtf?)
07-Fraps (remove) - Paid update available. wtf?
08-iTunes (remove authorized PCs. wtf?) Would I lose my iTune Lib found in an external drive?
09-TVersity (paid update available)

On top of all these problem, I get the following from MS:

Why aren’t all my apps or devices listed?

If some of your apps or devices aren't listed, it might be because we haven't received or determined compatibility info for that app or device yet. If devices are missing, try connecting your devices to your PC, and then restarting Windows setup to check for them again. If your devices still don't appear, check the Windows 8 Compatibility Center for info., or contact the app or device manufacturer.

In fact I may have more problems than the upgrade assistance seems to indicate. I don't think it is worth to upgrade. What do you all think? Thanks.

chugot9218

Honorable
Looks pretty basic to me, some of your apps will need to be re-installed after the upgrade, some will not work, and some may have paid upgrades available. Itunes it simply wants you to remove the registration inside of iTunes so it is no longer registered to your old PC, you won't lose any of your library. You should determine whether it is worth the hassle of restoring all your old programs to usable states on Windows 8. Personally, I would not bother, I have an upgrade copy to use at a later date should I decide I want it and that it will be viable for my uses. You could buy an upgrade now at the cheaper price and wait for compatibility to go up to install.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Thank you. I think it is a good idea. I may have to buy 2 upgrades one for my laptop, and another for my build. I think it will be harder to upgrade since lots of the drivers to run video and sound may be a pain to find and reinstall. I may follow your advice about buying the upgrades now, and installing it later when thing get settle. I still not find it useful to upgrade for now.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Thanks. I will look for upgrades at toshiba. I hope they have windows 8 drivers and software upgrades.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

I will wait. As I explained here or in another thread, I will try to purchase W8 now, and install it much later when things get figured out. Thanks.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I found this other issue with M$ "secure boot" which my firmware does not support. Btw, I loaded the latest American Megatrends BIOS for my Toshiba laptop and ran the upgrade assistance again, but I found out the laptop still have the same problem with the M$ "secure boot". I wonder if I really need this stupid feature. Does anyone know? Thanks.

randomizer

Champion
Most of them are self explanatory. It's just telling you to re-install them once you install Win 8, but it's quite possible that they won't work (especially the Toshiba stuff). The iTunes one is a bit different. It's telling you to de-authorise it before installing, because you have a limited number of computers that you can authorise on and a new OS is, as far as iTunes is concerned, another computer.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

This is my biggest complaint:

I found this other issue with M$ "secure boot" which my firmware does not support. Btw, I loaded the latest American Megatrends BIOS for my Toshiba laptop and ran the upgrade assistance again, but I found out the laptop still have the same problem with the M$ "secure boot". I wonder if I really need this stupid feature. Does anyone know? Thanks.

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

What you are saying is that I shouldn't care if my BIOS does not suppor UEFI, right? I just wonder if the upgrade is possible without it though.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
The upgrade is still possible, my motherboard doesn't support secure boot either and I got the upgrade.

Although I used it to do a clean install next to my windows 7 so I could keep both. I like having both at my disposal, windows 8 boots really fast so it is great if I just want to watch some netflix and windows 7 still works great for just about anything. Now I can still play all my old games without re-downloading and reinstalling them.