[SOLVED] Random audio and visual stutters/glitches when gaming and watching videos

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
This issue has been happening for the past day now and it's really bugging me. I'll be watching a video and suddenly, the video glitches and the audio stutters. It happens more when I'm watching videos but it still happens when I'm gaming. It only lasts anywhere from half a second to maximum 3 seconds but it's still annoying. It started happening after I opened my case to re-plug in my SATA cables since I wasn't able to boot into my SSD. Of course as soon as I fix one issue, another arises.

Here's a video:

View: https://i.imgur.com/czYK2Qk.mp4

You can't hear the stutter but you can definitely see the visual glitch. The glitch I recorded is often the worst it'll get but it's still nothing to disregard.

How do I fix this issue because every video I watch I'll ALWAYS experience this issue at least once.

Specs:
CPU: i7-870 (Not Overclocked)
CPU Cooler: GAMMAXX 400
GPU: GTX 960 4GB (Not Overclocked)
Memory: 4x2GB DDR3 1666MHz (Not Overclocked)
Motherboard: MS-7163
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 6.07, 19/05/2010
Storage: 1TB HDD and 250GB Kingston SSD
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
Audio Drivers: Realtek

Last edited:
Solution
I don't know if testing drives would help or at least, remove any doubt they are cause since I assume this problem didn't happen before you opened case recently?

About three months ago I opened my case to see what it'd be like when I install my new CPU (already installed). However, when I put it on it's back, I didn't notice that my hard drive fell out of spot and sat on the SATA cable for my SSD (never screwed in the HDD). I had these issues repeatedly until two weeks later I decided to open my case and see what's up considering I tried out all methods I could think of software related. It was sitting on the cable for a long time that it must've damaged it. I just swapped both cords so that if my HDD disappeared from my BIOS and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if testing drives would help or at least, remove any doubt they are cause since I assume this problem didn't happen before you opened case recently?

About three months ago I opened my case to see what it'd be like when I install my new CPU (already installed). However, when I put it on it's back, I didn't notice that my hard drive fell out of spot and sat on the SATA cable for my SSD (never screwed in the HDD). I had these issues repeatedly until two weeks later I decided to open my case and see what's up considering I tried out all methods I could think of software related. It was sitting on the cable for a long time that it must've damaged it. I just swapped both cords so that if my HDD disappeared from my BIOS and Windows, I could still use my OS (SSD) until I either fixed the issue again or got a brand new SATA cable.

New Sata cables could help.
ssd shouldn't be damaged by having another drive on them, hdd may have been by the fall.
What brand is the hdd?

tried updating nvidia drivers?

Solution

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021

ssd shouldn't be damaged by having another drive on them, hdd may have been by the fall.
What brand is the hdd?

My HDD is Seagate however are taking all cords out from the back of my PC (HDMI, USB CORDS, etc) and putting them back in again, I noticed the issue was resolved. I'll still keep an eye out for any other issues similar to this. I will buy some new SATA cables if this decides to happen again and nothing else is working.

Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: Never mind it still happens.

Last edited:

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021

What brand is the hdd?

I got some new SATA cables and now it seems to be working just perfect!