Question Random black screen and full speed fans while gaming.

Jan 15, 2020
As the title states, my pc sometimes gives a black screen and full fan speeds while gaming. I can still hear sound when it happens, can even talk to people on discord, I then have to turn the pc off and on again. What is causing this problem and how can i fix it?
It usually happens when coming from a menu (crafting, intventory but also main menu or profile pages). It makes me think it has something to do with 3d rendering and thus my GPU.
Worth noting is that i recently upgraded some parts. New case, AIO and ram.

Games that crash:
The Witcher 3
Overwatch
World of Warcraft

My specs thanks to Speccy:
Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 32 °C
Pinnacle Ridge 12nm

RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1596MHz (16-18-18-38)

Motherboard
ASRock B450 Steel Legend (AM4) 31 °C

Graphics
VG27A (2560x1440@144Hz)
Acer XF240H (1920x1080@120Hz)
DELL E177FP (1280x1024@75Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (NVIDIA) 51 °C

Power supply
Corsair rm750x 80+ gold (old version. not the 2018)

Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD)) 32 °C
117GB SanDisk SDSSDP128G (SATA (SSD)) 23 °C
238GB ADATA SX8200PNP (Unknown (SSD))
953GB ADATA SX8200PNP (Unknown (SSD))

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Last edited:
@Quander22
I agree that it is probably something to do with your GPU. In order, I suspect:
  1. Overheating ... possibly not the GPU chip, but somewhere else on the board. Do you have canned air? Give it a good cleaning. Dust can fill the fins of your heatsink pretty quickly. Maybe try running a game with the side cover of the PC removed.
  2. Software/Driver ... I'm going to guess you have already reinstalled drivers. If not, do so.
  3. System RAM ... you said you recently added RAM. Have you tested it?
  4. Reseat the GPU ... you said you recently got a new case. I'm guessing you took everything apart, so maybe something didn't come together quite right.
  5. Overheating again ... you said you recently got an AIO. AIOs are great for cooling the CPU, but they don't always keep air moving around the inside of your PC (depends on how and where installed). Running the PC with the side cover removed for a bit is a good test of this.

Jan 15, 2020
@Quander22
I agree that it is probably something to do with your GPU. In order, I suspect:
  1. Overheating ... possibly not the GPU chip, but somewhere else on the board. Do you have canned air? Give it a good cleaning. Dust can fill the fins of your heatsink pretty quickly. Maybe try running a game with the side cover of the PC removed.
  2. Software/Driver ... I'm going to guess you have already reinstalled drivers. If not, do so.
  3. System RAM ... you said you recently added RAM. Have you tested it?
  4. Reseat the GPU ... you said you recently got a new case. I'm guessing you took everything apart, so maybe something didn't come together quite right.
  5. Overheating again ... you said you recently got an AIO. AIOs are great for cooling the CPU, but they don't always keep air moving around the inside of your PC (depends on how and where installed). Running the PC with the side cover removed for a bit is a good test of this.
Hey, thanks for the answer!
  1. My GPU usually sits around 75°C under load. 50°C idle. Cooler than in my old case actually.
  2. Ofcourse. I even installed older drivers and when that didnt work went back to the newest one.
  3. Its the exact same brand, model, cl, speeds. Only more memory. How do i properly test it?
  4. Could try that.
  5. My AIO is installed on top, pushing air out. So the intake is just fans.
Problem is it happens at random so its hard to test. Sometimes i can play for hours without any issues and then suddenly it crashes twice in a row.

I plan on upgrading to 3000 series. So maybe thatll fix it.

Edit: spelling

@Quander22

Testing RAM

I like memtest86, but that's just my opinion. Do let it run over night. Some people let memory test only run for an hour or 2 and that's not enough (especially for intermittent issues).

GPU temperatures are normally from an on-die sensor. That's good, but if you have a hot spot somewhere else on the board (memory chips can get very hot) you won't know it. That's why I recommend inspespecting/cleaning the heatsink fins.

If the issue is the GPU, then replacement will fix it.

Jan 15, 2020
@Quander22

Testing RAM

I like memtest86, but that's just my opinion. Do let it run over night. Some people let memory test only run for an hour or 2 and that's not enough (especially for intermittent issues).

GPU temperatures are normally from an on-die sensor. That's good, but if you have a hot spot somewhere else on the board (memory chips can get very hot) you won't know it. That's why I recommend inspespecting/cleaning the heatsink fins.

I let the Ram test run overnight as you suggested. No errors whatsoever.
I checked my GPU and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Cleaned everything i could just to be sure. Haven't had a new crash after that, but that doesn't say everything.

Jan 15, 2020
@Quander22

Testing RAM

Nevermind, it happened again

Jan 15, 2020
@Quander22

Testing RAM

Happened four times in a row while trying to launch Skyrim Special Edition. First 3 times while decently modded (around 50 mods) and the last time without any mods. All of them when loading or shortly after (like 5 sec max). Maybe a VRAM issue?

Jan 15, 2020
It's possible.

I tried a vram test. No issues whatsoever.
Interestingly enough i don't experience any crashes while playing Total war: Warhammer 2. But i do get constant crashes in World of Warcraft. I'd expect warhammer to be more demanding.