Question Random Black Screen Of Death

Sep 16, 2019
Been having a huge issue of randomly getting a black screen with one of two things happening: A. Both monitors go black and keyboard goes out with no response and no sound from whatever was on at the time (pc was still on with all lights active) This requires me to turn my psu switch off as a hard shutdown is not possible for whatever reason B. Same as A but it will actually restart the system immediately. The fun part about this is its truly random, I can get it playing games or just turning the system on and leaving it on the login screen.

Im running Windows 10 x64
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
2x16 GB DDR4 ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
CORSAIR RM1000i PSU (overkill)

Attempts so far:
Checked temps (good)
Re-applied thermal paste
Replaced psu, motherboard, RAM
Checked the health of hard drives
Updated all drivers
Swapped out gpu with one I know works but still happened.
Reinstalled Windows.

Also for the very basic of questions yes I have tried switching out my cables and ran it with only one monitor. No im not getting any proper errors since error 41 is me flipping my power off since I cant do anything else.

I've damn near built a 2nd system and honestly getting peeved nothing is working. Any ideas what ive possibly missed?

Sep 16, 2019
As this happens to me as-well with brand new GPU I'm interested in what game causes this to you ?
Any game, it can sit idle on the desktop or I could be playing any from bloons td up to more graphic heavy things like RE2 or gears 5 on high settings. Funny thing is I can play something a whole day with nothing or just sit around having it fail 4-5 times in an hour.

Did you confirm with memtest or something else? If memtest, how long did you let it run? It certainly could be something else, but RAM problem is the main thing I think of when reading your thread. I know you said the screen goes black, but have you looked to see if there are minidump files?

Sep 16, 2019
Did you confirm with memtest or something else? If memtest, how long did you let it run? It certainly could be something else, but RAM problem is the main thing I think of when reading your thread. I know you said the screen goes black, but have you looked to see if there are minidump files?
memtest took about 8 hours to fully run and no errors. As for minidump it has one for the 14th but that was installing amd overdrive, which wasnt compatible so uninstalled. (problems were long before that point.)

Sep 16, 2019
It's probably about 2 years total. All new parts and now it's got more brand new parts (motherboard, psu, ram) from troubleshooting/upgrading as I went.

Based on your symptoms, my second suspicion is the video card. If this is the case, you should see error messages related to Nvidia drivers in the event viewer.

If it's not the video card, what types of hardware do you have connected to the computer externally (USB hubs, headsets, etc).

Sep 16, 2019
Based on your symptoms, my second suspicion is the video card. If this is the case, you should see error messages related to Nvidia drivers in the event viewer.

If it's not the video card, what types of hardware do you have connected to the computer externally (USB hubs, headsets, etc).
Nothing besides the kernel for flicking the switch as well as swapping it out to test with one that works for sure. As for USB I've got mouse, keyboard, wireless mouse, astro headset, ethernet. As well as the hdmi for monitors.

I sorta see where your going with it so I left it on but nothing plugged in. I'll be gone for a few hours so in theory it might fail in that time if not I'll try that again overnight.

UPDATE: It failed within the three hours I was gone. Only the power cord was plugged in nothing else.

Last edited: