Jun 24, 2020
Hi there,

I built my PC just this past Christmas and to be quite honest I've never had any troubles with it until just this past week. All of a sudden, I've been experiencing BSODs or hard locks where the screen freezes and I can't do anything, and I typically have to hold in the power button to shut the computer off. For the most part, it seems I'm able to use my computer for a couple hours, and most commonly (or exclusively, I'm not sure) crashes while gaming. The only exception is when I was in a BSOD loop a couple times when I got the initial crashes.

So far I've tried re-seating all the RAM (and testing individual sticks), re-seating the GPU, resetting the CMOS, and running Windows System File Checker. There was a period where I was additionally unable to boot my computer, but I was able to get past this by pushing the restart button on my PC case while it was running. As far as I know there's no issues with overheating as I have a well ventilated case and a hefty CPU cooler.

I should note it seems I was more or less able to use Safe Mode without any problems. Granted I only used it for a couple hours but it seemed pretty stable.

I've tried combing through the minidumps I pulled off my computer but I haven't been able to decipher anything useful from them other than that it's a hardware or driver issue most likely. It seems that hal.dll or ntoskrnl.exe are listed as the culprits for the dumps I've looked at, but it didn't really tell me much.

If anyone could possibly provide any insight or figure out more from the dumps than I can it would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to fix this issue for about a week now and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Here's a Google Drive link to a zip of all the minidumps I have: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KsCmG2o9BVu2KBBYZTP6k5gNkiVO5jB_/view?usp=sharing
(One of the dumps is unfortunately 0 KB. I also have a nearly 2GB MEMORY.DMP I can provide if it's any more helpful.)

Here's my computer specs:
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
  • RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming X
  • PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
  • SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME
Thanks a bunch!

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/7AbcikTa
File information:062320-8515-01.dmp (Jun 23 2020 - 22:38:34)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

File information:062220-8000-01.dmp (Jun 23 2020 - 22:38:34)
Bugcheck:?
Probably caused by: (Process: ?)

File...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/7AbcikTa
File information:062320-8515-01.dmp (Jun 23 2020 - 22:38:34)

File information:062220-8000-01.dmp (Jun 23 2020 - 22:38:34)
Bugcheck:?
Probably caused by: (Process: ?)

File information:062220-6765-01.dmp (Jun 22 2020 - 12:58:29)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:062120-8031-01.dmp (Jun 21 2020 - 16:13:00)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:061820-10250-01.dmp (Jun 18 2020 - 23:48:06)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

The following dump files were 0 bytes long which means they are invalid:
062120-8062-01.dmp
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version A.5 and the newest is A.7. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution
Jun 24, 2020
cpu/gpu temp?
malware scan?
I've monitored both temps and they're reasonable for idle and under load. I also haven't downloaded anything recently that I would be concerned about being malware.

However, something's changed since my post. I'm no longer able to get into recovery or safe mode. However, upon turning off Intel Turbo from the BIOS, I am able to boot up just fine. Is it possible it's an issue with the voltage? I've never enabled overclocks or messed with any voltages before so I'm suspecting a hardware issue possibly. I tried taking out the CPU and reseating it but the same issues occurred.